Keeping Luna by Todd Michael Haggerty

Keeping Luna

by Todd Michael Haggerty

No tags.

This book was amazing. I did not expect this novel to be so action packed and enthralling. I couldn't put it down!

The world that Todd Haggerty made was through, thoughtful, and multidimensional. It was easy to see both sides to the political fractions in this world. The segregation of skills and people to help promote community and a sense of mutual well being.

I loved that, even though the world has been this way for 80 years, Humanity's strength, love and acceptance for freedom at any cost is a shinning beacon and drives the reader forward to know what happens.

The characters are so well developed and they are so multifaceted that you want to know them more, you need to find out if they succeed.

Well worth the read you will not be disappointed! ( )
  Elly88 | May 18, 2017 |
A great novel of a dystopian society created by a group seeking to create utopia roughly based on the principles of Plato's Republic. Like every other attempt at utopia this requires force to make others behave as the self appointed "rational" leaders say that they should. Everything is regulated and controlled by the State, all media, employment and purchases. The family is abolished and partners are matched by the State to make babies that are immediately taken and raised to serve the State. A couple, a soldier and a computer technician decide that they will fight to keep their daughter.

The book is well written keeping story going and sets the scene without becoming bogged down in long winded exposition. ( )
  Crus458 | Apr 28, 2017 |
FYI, as it pertains to my review. When choosing a book I rarely read the description as I often found they gave more information (I call mini spoilers) that I would've preferred to discover while reading or the description doesn't coincide well with the actual storyline. When I choose a book I like a wide variety so, besides authors I follow, I generally look for a genre I'm in the mood for, then, odd as it may sound, make my choice from titles and/or covers that get my attention. At a books end I then read the description and make a comparison.

Author Todd Michael Haggerty has given me the greatest challenge by far on how to rate Keeping Luna. If it was given to me without a title or description (I didn't read until the end) the rating would've easily been 4-4.5 stars. But for reasons I'll go into further soon, the title nagged at me versus what I was reading and was dumbfounded once I finished the book and read the description. If I got the book based on the description I would've been sorely dismayed to say the least and rated it 1-2 stars.

The description talks about the current society & then the following:
As their relationship develops and they start to validate each other’s worries and societal skepticism, both Owen and Claire begin to question the values of the emotionally cold yet highly functional society that has raised them.

The characters Owen and Claire are introduced to you when they meet as part of a coupling program. The reader learns that all babies are taken from mothers immediately after birth to be raised as wards of the state. The title implies that this couple will choose to keep their child and you would think they would now carry the storyline as the central part of the plot. But that's not the case. A few dates out together are skimmed over and the fact they now live together, all prior to the pregnancy, with very little dialogue none of which is very meaningful and certainly not about "societal skepticism" or the "emotionally cold society they were raised in". I was waiting and looking for a reason to place some emotional investment to their plight but they play such a minor role until towards the books end there isn't a chance given. In fact they appear only once during the entire pregnancy due to a possible miscarriage but again very little dialogue with very little emotion attached even to Claire's statement that she wants to keep her baby. The same day even the predictable, feeling the baby kick, lacks the suitable emotion. This highly emotional subject matter should've been pulling at my heartstrings but to my chagrin besides a small tug in chapter one surprisingly nothing I read instigated emotional investment.

The title implies that this couple and child would consume most of the book but what the state of our society some 80 years in the future has become is where the real story is. Haggerty's imaginative "council", the governing body of members and their associates are what keeps your keen interest. These characters are much more developed than Owen and Claire, Haggerty has depicted them so that love them or hate them at least you have a definite opinion. I think if the title had been derived from the council, council members or R&R (you have to read to have this revealed) it would have been more fitting as it takes up so much more of the story and has the most interest and intrigue, keeping Luna seems to be a minor supporting storyline. After Luna's birth and the three are on the run it still lacks emotion in dialogue and under the circumstances the escape is done fairly easily. It's when a council member comes into play in their escape that brings on intrigue once more and the ramifications that come with doing so.

So now I'm back to how to rate the book, to ignore the title and what the description imply to deliver doesn't seem right but to base it on those aspects versus the writing itself doesn't seem fair. So I based it on the storyline itself and knocked off a star for the stated reasons. If you're looking for a heartwarming story that follows the couple's joys and sorrows as the pregnancy begins and progresses to the birth, to be aware of what they go through to plan their escape and follow through to the end where they find safety, this isn't the story for you. If you're looking for a fascinating look at why in a mere 80 years iPods don't exist, your only choice in clothing will be limited colors, why no one has family and more sinister secrets hidden from the citizenry then absolutely read Keeping Luna! I hope to find that another book takes over where this story left off!! ( )
  mtchrista | Apr 25, 2017 |
Keeping Luna is a story set in the near future. There is only one government and the economy is not based on money. People don’t work for money. They receive credits for food and housing. There is no open trade. There are no families. Children are born and given to the ruling council system to be raised without parents. The government is “at war” with the people outside of its boundaries who still believe in family and a free market. The long and short of this book is that there are two people (Owen and Claire) who were chosen to have a child, and they decide to keep it. This part of the story doesn’t really seem to be the main idea in this book. The author does tell about Owen and Claire’s ordeal, but there is another story being told as well. This seems to be the main idea of the book as a whole. It is about how the one world government is overthrown and brought back to a “free-market” society.

All in all, Keeping Luna was a pretty entertaining book. It kept me wanting to find out what was going to happen, so I wanted to finish it. There was plenty of action and lots of “bad guys”. The book flowed well and was well written. It even left room for a sequel because you never really find out what happened to Owen, Claire and Luna. ( )
  galadryl | Apr 24, 2017 |
Keeping Luna describes a dystopian society where men and women are matched through a coupling program and their children are raised by society. A couple defies the rules and escapes with their daughter. The book exposes people’s fears and is thus believable.

It is a fast-paced and gripping book. The only weakness is perhaps that it is too short. In a way, the reader feels that the author is in a hurry to finish it.

Overall, it is a book full of action that will keep you turning the page. ( )
  Afratula | Apr 17, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible