Heat by Geneva Holliday
91944,704 (3.8)None

Friends are often defined as the family we get to choose. In choosing these friends we try to make sure that they are not as crazy as our real family and understanding enough not to pass judgment even when we do stupid stuff.

Let's start with Chevy. Girlfriend loves to stay ahead of the Joneses by rocking all the new fashions even if that means not paying the rent. Then there's Noah, our closest girlfriend that happens to be male, who lets Chevy live in his crib practically rent-free. Lucky for Chevy, Noah is in love and lying up with his man in London having back-banging sex. Poor Crystal wishes she had a man to cook breakfast for to take her mind off work and that biological time clock. Finally, there's Geneva, who has tried just about every weight-loss regimen known to man. Speaking of man, she has a pretty young thang by the name of Deeka who is fine with her love handles and cushioning, and lays it down to show her just how much. Make sure you turn down the A/C before feel the HEAT of this hot, sexy, and sultry novel from Geneva Holliday.

Heat, the third installment in the Geneva Holliday series, takes the reader on a wild ride with four unforgettable characters that are sure to leave you talking. This novel is full of laughter and hot steamy sex. I finished this novel quickly because I didn't want to put it down. I fell in love with the characters because I could relate to them all. I have to say Holliday created a down to earth group of friends who I totally could relate.

I also appreciated the fact that even though this was the third book in the series I was able to finish it. Sometimes when you read series you have to start at the first one. I wasn't aware of this series until I read the back cover and at that point, I was done. Each character held his own.

Heat is quick read with a rock solid plot. It has that old school urban fiction feel back when Eric Jerome Dickey, Omar Tyree and E. Lynn Harris hit the scene and took the literary world by storm. This book presents African-American characters that you can relate to without all the vulgar and inappropriate language. My favorite character is Chevy. Chevy is just a small town girl at heart trying her best to never return to that place where people Payless for more. Ya'll know I'm always rooting for the underdog, right. I think that we have all been a Chevy at one time or another. Have you ever looked back at something vowing to never return but realizing later that it was where you really belonged?

My favorite quote comes from my second favorite character, Geneva's six-year-old daughter Charlie. Charlie participated in the school talent show and recited her poem:

"My mother's belly
shakes like jelly!
My mother's belly
shakes like jelly!
Jelly, jelly, jelly!"

Yes, imagine that being your child talking about your belly shaking like jelly. Kids! Got to love'em and Holliday captures a priceless moment. Ha Ha Ha! ( )
  notoriousspinks | Jul 26, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076792116X, Paperback)

It’s spring in New York City, but in the lives of these four friends there’s already plenty of HEAT

Geneva Holliday got your Groove on, gave you Fever, and now she turns up the Heat, in her wildest novel yet. Between their bedroom antics and their busy lives, Crystal, Geneva, Chevy, and Noah are all faced with situations that are way too hot to handle . . .

Crystal’s finding it hard to concentrate at work, and no wonder—she’s got a stud in Antigua who’s beginning to mean more to her than just steamy sex.

While things are red-hot with Geneva and her sexy young man, Deeka, her new diet pills stir up more trouble than her collection of slinky lingerie ever did.

Chevy’s out-of-control spending has finally caught up with her; when her paycheck is almost entirely garnished, she is forced to resort to sex with an ex to keep a roof over her head.

Noah and his partner can’t come to an agreement about adopting children, but one thing’s for sure: A blast from his little-known past with a woman is about to rock his world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:26 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,551,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible