Whirlwind (Tyler, Book 1) by Nancy Martin

Whirlwind (Tyler, Book 1) (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Nancy Martin

Member:cindystark
Title:Whirlwind (Tyler, Book 1)
Authors:Nancy Martin
Info:Harlequin (1992), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 298 pages
Tags:not read yet

Whirlwind by Nancy Martin (1992)

So this is a romance novel I read when I was eight. We were at the library booksale and my sister Erin saw these Tyler books and said Michaela, don't you have a friend named Tyler? and I said YEAH! because I sat next to him all year and I was in grade three so that makes it '98 since I remember it was summer. Anyhow, we got about ten of the novels in this Tyler series because you could fill up this cloth bag with books for $10 and we stuffed that bag full (my sisters got books too, of course). So I read this here first book and I thought the really interesting part was that they found a dead body in the lake! But they didn't know whose it was right away or how it got there. Oh boy. There was lots of stuff I didn't understand but I was really curious about this mystery element especially because by the end they hadn't solved that. That was fine, though, because after all this was part of a series and I had the next nine books.

So I started reading the second book, "Book B" (they are lettered, not numbered), but it was about two different people entirely and they didn't even mention the dead body! What a disappointment. I was pretty unimpressed by this move, but opening up "C" I saw that some of the characters from the first book were back. Awesome! Unfortunately, they only touched lightly over the body in the lake. Meanwhile I was getting super confused by all the real touching going on none too lightly and why this man "tasted" the lady in front of the fireplace. I got to the end really hoping something a bit more dynamic would have happened and I cracked open book "D" but saw that it was again about someone else entirely. I had the pattern figured out now, and I wasn't going to stick around for this drawn out back-and-forth without any actual mystery solving! What a disappointing series.

Appendix A
One day my mom saw this novel on our bookshelf and picked it up and opened it up, getting the gist of it right away, and said, Michaela! Did you READ this? And I told her only till the fourth book because it wasn't a very good mystery.

Appendix B
Turned out my grandmother was quite a fan of this series so we gave all the books to her. She was so excited that we shared a taste in literature and asked me which was my favourite (hers was "Book I" or maybe "J").
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Liza returns to her home town of Tyler.

A buried body is found on the property of Judson Ingalls. Judson is Liza's grandfather.

I didn't like Liza at first. She shows no concern for Cliff. She blames her mother and thinks nothing is her fault.

But she begins to think about what is good for Cliff. And to realize she was too wrapped up in her grief to consider that her mother was hurting too.

This is part of a series. There is a mystery discovered, but not resolved. I assume it will continue over the series. But the Liza & Cliff story stands alone ( )
  nx74defiant | Aug 11, 2016 |
About halfway through this book I was completely irritated with the "heroine" for having no common sense and being excessively pushy with a shy and probably psychologically damaged hero. I kind of got over it because of her acceptance of her issues and transformation into a normal person. In the best relationships, both fictional and real-life, the participants make each other better, and by the end of the story this is what was going on.
I am very intrigued by the murder mystery that appears to be a thread through the 12-book series and looking forward to reading more. ( )
  EmScape | Apr 1, 2011 |
Not a great ending. I am hoping that changes as I read the rest of the series. ( )
  krystalsbooks | May 27, 2010 |
This was such a fun book. It made me chuckle and just relax for a while and just smile. Looking forward to the 2nd title Bright Hopes.
  diann12954 | Aug 27, 2007 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,497,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible