Butchers Hill by Laura Lippman

Butchers Hill (edition 1998)

by Laura Lippman

5621925,370 (3.57)60
Member:agneson9
Title:Butchers Hill
Authors:Laura Lippman
Info:New York : Avon, 1998.
Collections:Your library, Finished
Rating:***
Tags:grp-fiction, for-adult, grp-gen, read in 2010, series

Butchers Hill by Laura Lippman

so far, this is proving to be a very consistent series. i am enjoying the characters, and how they are developing. i am glad, in this instalment, that lippman has finally addressed the racial inequality of baltimore, and the race divide in the city. i like that this seems to be something that will continue in the series. ( )
  Booktrovert | Jun 1, 2018 |
Butcher’s Hill by Laura Lippman is both a book and a series that has been lingering on the back burner for far too long. This is the third book in the Tess Monaghan series about a female private investigator set in Baltimore, Maryland. In this outing, Tess is working on two cases both involving children. The first is to locate a group of under-privileged children who were witnesses to a shooting a number of years ago while the second is to help a woman find the daughter that she gave up for adoption thirteen years ago. Little did Tess know that one of these cases was going to involve her own family.

This has been my favorite book of the series so far as it involved an engaging and thought-provoking plot served up by a very likeable main character with humor and excitement. Tess own bickering, colorful yet close family serve as a foil for these cases that are based on misconceptions, lies and social injustices.

I listened to an audio version of this book and I plan on picking up a few more to listen to as the narrator, Deborah Hazlett, did a stellar job. I look forward to visiting Tess, and her lovable greyhound Esskay, again. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 12, 2017 |
Synopsis: Tess is hired by an elderly man to make recompense for accidentally shooting a child. He wants Tess to find the children who witnessed the killing and pay for their education, training, psychiatric help or whatever. Tess is also hired by a young woman to find the daughter she gave up for adoption.
Review: These were interesting stories using the black section of Baltimore as a setting. ( )
  DrLed | Feb 11, 2017 |
An enjoyable cosy PI mystery. I really like Tess and it looks like a new character has been added to the series. Tess gets her first client, actually two on the same day. Both cases involve teenagers and missing persons, one mixed with murder, the other adoption. Family secrets are unveiled as well. Strangely for me, I enjoyed the adoption case the best; there was just more to it, I think. I'll definitely continue the series. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 9, 2016 |
I'm working through the entire series, and this one is the strongest. I'd give it 3.5 stars if possible. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
When years without number

like days of another summer

had turned into air there

once more was a street that had never

forgotten the eyes of its child

W. S. Merwin, "Another Place"
For Susan Seegar,

who taught me how to read,

encouraged me to write,

and convinced me to cut

all the hair off my Barbie.

I'm glad I was never an only child.
He was deep in his favorite dream, the one about Annie, when he thought he heard the scratchy sound of pebbles on his window pane.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380798468, Mass Market Paperback)

Tess Monaghan has finally made the move and hung out her shingle as a p.i.-for-hire, complete with an office in Butchers Hill. Maybe it's not the best address in Baltimore, but you gotta start somewhere, and Tess's greyhound Esskay has no trouble taking marathon naps anywhere there's a roof. Then in walks Luther Beale, the notorious vigilante who five years ago shot a boy for vandalizing his car. Just out of prison, he says he wants to make reparations to the kids who witnessed his crime, so he needs Tess to find them. But once she starts snooping, the witnesses start dying. Is the "Butcher of Butchers Hill" at it again? Like it or not, Tess is embroiled in a case that encompasses the powers that-be, a heartless system that has destroyed the lives of children, and a nasty trail of money and lies leading all the way back to Butchers Hill.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:59 -0400)

When Luther Beale, a vigilante who shot a boy, appeals to Baltimore private detective Tess Monaghan to help him atone for his crime, she finds herself on a trail of money, mendacity, and murder that leads straight to Butchers Hill.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,021,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible