Magic Bus: On the Hippie Trail from Istanbul…

Magic Bus: On the Hippie Trail from Istanbul to India

by Rory MacLean

(2) 1960s (2) 2008 reading (1) adventure (1) American (1) Asia (2) Box 1 (1) bus (3) city (1) counterculture (3) culture (1) hippie (1) hippie trail (4) hippies (4) history (1) humor (1) India (6) Middle East (2) Nepal (2) next (1) non-fiction (2) novel (1) own (1) read (2) to-read (1) toget (1) travel (13) travel writing (1) travelogue (1) Turkey (6)
Asia (169)

The author beats his own path down the old hippie trail of the 60s passing through Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Nepal. Meeting and exchanging notes with some of the original old hats. A trek made popular by the Beatles and Ginsberg.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
I was torn trying to star rate this book. It's a good read, and the author has a gift for using a few words to give the reader a fairly clear picture of persons he meets on the way. The premise is strong as well. It just didn't entirely gell for me as a story. Though some of the characters we get introduced to are quite memorable. ( )
  Oreillynsf | Jun 9, 2010 |
Big regret of my life was that I was too young to be a real hippie. At least that is what I’ve always thought. But the more books I read about hippies, the less interesting they are. Turns out, it seems, most people who went off to become hippies either (1) quickly realized the search was futile or (2) are still out there somewhere, probably sitting in the park in San Francisco waiting for their next high. Maclean follows the road the hippies traveled to see what is there now and what hippies are still left out there doing their hippie things. He finds a few hippies, notably Penny, who struck me as a sad figure. It could have just been me, but Penny still felt very lost. And what’s there now? Tourists, tourists, tourists. Doesn’t look like I’ll ever hit the hippie trail. Not terribly sure I am really a hippie kind of person, anyway. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |

From Amazon.com: In the 1960s and 1970s, hundreds of thousands of young westerners in search of enlightenment blazed the “hippie trail” that ran through Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Nepal. Forty years later, Rory MacLean revisits the trail, where he encounters the tie-dyed veterans who never made it home, meets locals reaping the rewards and regrets of westernization, and crashes up against Taliban fighters and Islamic extremism, which has turned the hippie trail into a path of dust and danger.

In the 1960s and 1970s, many young westerners in search of enlightment blazed the Hippie Trail that ran from Turkey to Nepal. 40 years later, Rory McLean revisits to trail.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,316,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible