Fire and Brimstone: A DCI Broadly crime…

Fire and Brimstone: A DCI Broadly crime novel

by Vic Veale

322,001,085 (3.5)None
Recently added bycarole888fort, Key_Largo, vicveale

No tags.

Thank you to the author Vic Veale for providing Fire and Brimstone in exchange for an honest review. The novel is a typical English murder mystery. A fire at Cradbury College has been set to cover up the murder of college lecturer Phillip Blakeridge. DCI Broadly and DS Kindleyside are tasked with solving the crimes. The investigation frequently takes place at the local pub, making this police procedural read like a cozy mystery. There are sub-plots about adultery, rape and a second murder which sometimes blur the storyline but manage to keep the reader interested. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Christie-like murder mysteries. ( )
  carole888fort | Jun 11, 2017 |
Kindle Unlimited, but got this as a freebie from the writer through LibraryThing, and here goes the usual insert free book for possible review of own free well etc etc.

Tried to ignore the formatting issues, since didn't notice it as much as would if physically reading it {use kindle for pc with audio plug in}, but the formatting problems did cause what I call 'stuttering' i.e. gaps and pauses in the reading because of all that as well as when just glancing over it was double spaced and odd numbers here and there for no discernible reason. It had a lot of side issues, such as too many unnecessary characters and events going on, that subtracted form the story not added, and made it rather muddled in places. As it was what I call 'brit lit' didn't overly matter to me that there were terms I didn't understand, but the back and forth with the suspect was more than a bit odd {and yes, I read and watch a LOT of CSI, Marple, Poirot, Ms Fisher, etcetera} so shouldn't have had my mind wandering but did. Interesting story, but definitely needs tightening up some. No idea what someone unused to 'Briticisms' would think about all this.

The 3 star is to match the rating on amazon us and uk; not even going to try to figure out if should be different on goodreads. ( )
  Key_Largo | May 5, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Vic Veale's book Fire and Brimstone: A DCI Broadly crime novel was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Vic Veale is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible