Lady Jayne Disappears by Joanna Davidson…

Lady Jayne Disappears

by Joanna Davidson Politano

2311459,532 (4)9

Aurelie has lost her father, and is the only one who knows that the beloved serial author, Nathaniel Droll, is gone as well. As she seeks to find the truth behind the last story her father was writing, she learns about her past, drawing ever closer to danger.

The premise for this story caught my attention, but it didn't always hold my attention. Aurelie was a relatable character and I was fascinated by her attempt to continue the story her father began. The romance side of things I found to be forced and uninteresting. The plot didn't flow at a consistent pace. There was also a hint of the supernatural which I wasn't sure whether was explained at the end or not.

The edge of Dickensian was the main thing that kept me reading. Overall, it was an alright read but not one I'm sure I'd open up again.

I received a free copy from NetGalley for reviewing purposes. ( )
  TheQuietReader | Oct 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Lady Jayne Disappears" by Joanna Davidson Politano is such an incredible book for so many reasons!! I did not know anything about the author or the book going into it--except that I loved the cover and the back cover description. This book is so well written and has such a great story with characters that you will fall in love with!

The opening of the story draws you in right away. Ms. Politano uses vivid descriptions of Victorian England that make you feel like you are transported back in time. There is an air of mystery and a gothic feel throughout, with hints of Dickens. I find the premise and plot of this story fascinating and refreshing. It is very original and well done.

I love the characters in this story so much; each is interesting in his own right. I’d love to gush more about the book’s plot, but it's hard to not say anything that would give the story away, so if the back cover description grabs you, you’ll love this book! My inner bookworm was in heaven, reading about how Aurelie (our heroine), loves stories. I love the way she thinks and interacts with others. Aurelie also has a strong faith, prays and talks about God. She repeats verses when she is going through hard times. She is a character that I will not soon forget!

I highly recommend this book! It has beautiful messages of identity, belonging and faith. The mystery, twists and turns kept me reading until the last page. I can't wait for the next book this author writes!

Content: This is a clean read.

Rating: I give this book 5 stars

Genre: Christian historical fiction; Victorian; Mystery; Romance

I want to thank Joanna Davidson Politano, Revell, and LibraryThing Early Reviewers for the complimentary copy of this book for review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I express in this review are my own. This is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s CFR 16, Part 255. ( )
  Meganleigh844 | Oct 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don’t usually read “inspirational” novels, but I’m open to them if the premise sounds interesting, and I thought I’d give this one a try. It’s about a young woman, Aurelie Harcourt, who has spent her childhood with her father in debtor’s prison; when her father dies, she is brought to live with rich but emotionally distant relatives. I just really didn’t connect to this book; I found the writing style obnoxious and the plot too predictable. The references to God felt shoehorned in, and Aurelie’s faith didn’t ring true to me. Not recommended. ( )
  christina_reads | Oct 8, 2017 |
Title: Lady Jane Disappears
Author: Joanna Davidson Politano
Pages: 416
Year: 2017
Publisher: Revell
My rating 5 out of 5 stars.
Aurelie Harcourt is a young woman who has an uncanny way of telling stories that entertain and teach at the same time. Aurelie learned that from her father who she stayed with in debtor’s prison because she had nowhere else to go. Aurelie had her father’s family, who she eventually had to stay with after her father’s demise in prison. However, she finds herself not only a stranger among family, but undesired as well.
The author weaves a very heart-gripping story of this young woman’s desire to find out what happened to her mother while trying to “fit in” to the family when they don’t even want her in the house. The other members in the house may or may not really be who they appear to be, especially regarding the woman they look at as an intruder.
As Aurelie walks throughout the mansion, she comes across a room that has clues in it as to who her mother may have been, but where or what happened to her is what Aurelie wants to know most of all. The character that kept me guessing as to his true identity and inner character was Silas Rotherham. At times in the story he appeared as a protagonist while at other times it was like he was someone totally different. Either way, I can share with you that the ending will really surprise you! As I read, I felt like I was reading a story within a story and I found that a fascinating aspect of the book.
In the back of the book for those who want to know, the author gives us a sneak peek into the next tale she will share with her audience. I don’t know the title or when it will be released, but I will be watching for it with excitement to see if it is as excellent a story as Lady Jane Disappears!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Oct 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After her father's death, Aurelie Harcourt is taken into the home of her Aunt Eudora, her father's sister. Up until this point, Aurelie has spent her entire life with her father in debtors prison. Aurelie has inherited her father's gift for storytelling. She has also inherited the serial novel he was writing under the pseudonym Nathaniel Droll entitled Lady Jayne Disappears. Aurelie must find a way to complete the novel. She has plenty of material since the novel is set in Aunt Eudora's home, Lynhurst Manor. Maybe completing the novel will help Aurelie work out what happened to her mother, the real life Lady Jayne. Aurelie must fight her growing attraction for fellow house guest Silas Rotherham, for it seems his heart belongs to someone else.

I was attracted to this book by its description, and I was disappointed that it didn't meet my expectations. The language and sentiments in the novel seem much too modern. It would appear that the author did very little research on the historical context for this novel, which is set in 1861. Aurelie speaks of something “backfiring”, but this term didn't become common until several decades later. One of the characters eats peanut brittle, but while the candy may have been in existence at this point in time, the name “peanut brittle” apparently wasn't used until the end of the 19th century. I also thought that the mystery aspect of the plot would be more predominant, so I was disappointed to discover that it's a romance written from a complementarian theological perspective. If the idea that a woman needs a husband to help her understand her true worth makes you cringe, this book isn't for you.

This review is based on an advance readers copy provided by the publisher through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. ( )
  cbl_tn | Oct 1, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Joanna Davidson Politano's book Lady Jayne Disappears is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Joanna Davidson Politano is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible