The Zen of Fish: The Story of Sushi, from…

The Zen of Fish: The Story of Sushi, from Samurai to Supermarket (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Trevor Corson

Member:kevinyezbick
Title:The Zen of Fish: The Story of Sushi, from Samurai to Supermarket
Authors:Trevor Corson
Info:HarperCollins (2007), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Your library
Tags:sushi, fish, food, cooking, japan, foodies, from:library, nonfiction, geoduck, nigiri, non-fiction

The Zen of Fish by Trevor Corson (2007)

Recently added byDReicht, private library, SaranCamara, cshalizi, TheBookStop

Forgive me if this “review” seems an agglomeration of tidbits, but I really enjoy little facts and pieces of information, and this book was riddled with them.

I don’t like fish and frankly the idea of eating it raw, no matter how trendy or gussied up it might be, roils my stomach. Be that as it may, this is a fascinating story, following the ascent (descent?) from a despised, lower class food to one prized by the elite. (Lobster made a similar journey: it was once banned as food for prisoners in jail because it was considered so unseemly and dirty.) The story follows Kate at the California Sushi Academy where, a total neophyte, she has decided to learn how to make Sushi from the masters. It has become less Japanese than international and some of the best chefs are from outside Japan. But, I mean how hard can it be to roll up some raw tuna around rice. Surprise, surprise.

Interestingly, mold is key to Sushi rice and the particular mold strains are guarded in bank vaults or secret caves. The mold is added to rice and eats it with such tremendous speed that if not properly controlled, the heat generated would overheat the incubator. The moldy rice is then mixed with soybeans along with yeast, bacteria and salt. The mush is shoveled into tubs where it sits for months where the digestive enzymes shorten time from 78 million years to seconds and generate amino acids. It’s the enzymes that we want to create glutamate important to human growth, brain development, etc. (Bear with me, I listened to this book on audio and am trying to recreate it from memory.) Anyway, to make a long, but interesting story short, the result is Miso (for more details see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miso). It’s very nutritious and as a paste is used in soups and other dishes including, guess what, sushi. The brown liquid at the edges of the Miso is soy sauce.

Msg, monosodium glutamate, is heralded as one of the miracles of this process and an important ingredient in flavoring. Usually associated with Japanese and Chinese food, it’s ubiquitous ands manufactured by the ton, added to meats, chips, fast food, soups , and many other things (it’s hidden under the name hydrolyzed vegetable protein.)

Western scientists had always assumed that the human tongue can taste only four flavors: sweet, bitter, sour, and salty. Asian scientists insisted there was another they called “tastiness” triggered by amino acids and was represented by the amino acid glutamate (msg) . Recently scientists at UC San Diego have found specific receptors for this flavor.

Fresh water fish can be dangerous when used raw for sushi as it is more likely to contain parasites that cause tapeworm. Salmon and trout, in particular as notorious, and the only way to kill the parasites is by freezing at -31 F for 18 hours or for a week at 0 F. Farmed salmon is not as dangerous filled as it is with PCBs and antibiotics. (Farmed salmon has 5 times the levels of PCB as wild salmon. It takes 3 lbs of ground up fish meal to produce 1 lb of salmon. In the wild they eat krill which gives the flesh its pink color - much like flamingoes.) The more fatty farmed salmon has become much more popular with diners making chefs happy since it is much cheaper.

Tuna pose their own special problems, in particular the Bluefin, largest of all the tuna and unusual in that it is warm-blooded and therefore has to age longer, much like terrestrial animals before they are eaten. Another issue is mercury. Since underwater volcanoes and coal-fired energy plants emit mercury which accumulates in the top of the food chain (and Bluefin tuna which often reach 1,500 lbs. are a top predator) pregnant women are told not to eat Bluefin and everyone else is told no more than once-a-week for any kind of tuna. Some of the techniques to factory farm tuna are rather spectacular (I'll resist the temptation to reveal a spoiler but will only say they involve mackerel) and perhaps they might lessen the danger of eating mercury. Another reason to avoid fish.

The evolution of sushi is quite a story in itself, moving from rice being used to preserve fish (and smelling like the “vomit of a drunkard” and being thrown out, to a situation where the rice is more important than the fish. Sushi chefs apprentice themselves for years to learn the secrets of good sushi rice. (I have some Norwegian in my genes, but there is no way you will ever get lutefisk** - literally lye fish - past my nose.)

A major role of the sushi chef is to scope out the customers and adjust the servings and consistency and appearance to the particular customer's taste. I'll avoid a spoiler here and not reveal why it is that Americans will probably never get an authentic sushi; the kind they are served would be rejected as inedible by most Japanese.

I could go on and on. Fascinating book.

** Here’s what Garrison Keillor has to say about it:”Every Advent we entered the purgatory of lutefisk, a repulsive gelatinous fishlike dish that tasted of soap and gave off an odor that would gag a goat. We did this in honor of Norwegian ancestors, much as if survivors of a famine might celebrate their deliverance by feasting on elm bark. I always felt the cold creeps as Advent approached, knowing that this dread delicacy would be put before me and I'd be told, "Just have a little." Eating a little was like vomiting a little, just as bad as a lot.” ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
This was a very difficult book for me to rate. On one hand, the author writes in a knowledgeable manner about an interesting subject, but on the other, the book was so poorly written as to be virtually unreadable in large segments. Perhaps he could have taken a different context—writing as a purely documentary account of the history of sushi, which one would expect from the title and blurb on the back, rather than following an up-and-coming bunch of sushi chefs from Los Angeles' California Sushi Academy. Maybe his writing is indicative of some form of discomfort with the subject material at hand—stilted wording and sentences structured in a painfully boring way could be an attempt to write formally instead of comfortably.

Why, then, does this warrant a 3.5-star rating? This is one of the more interesting books about kitchen life that I've read, and I do love sushi. The subject material is fascinating and through this book I learned of the California Sushi Academy—which I would love to attend if I had six grand and twelve weeks at my disposal. Corson is obviously knowledgeable about the material, which means that in addition to the "insider view" gleaned from following the chefs-in-training around the kitchen, a different "insider view" is acquired through the copious amounts of background knowledge. The information under the writing is fascinating; it's a pity that the writing itself is so bad. ( )
  raistlinsshadow | Apr 10, 2011 |
A very good book that changed the way we think about, order, and eat sushi in our family. The appendix contains some short pieces that are useful in classroom settings. Some great food for thought regarding our general inability or unwillingness to surrender control over many situations to others -- even when we know very little and those others are experts! ( )
  climbingtree | Jan 10, 2011 |
I don't often read non-fiction books, but I saw this book and couldn't resist. The best thing is, it doesn't read like a non-fiction book. The story line of a woman learning how to make sushi is intertwined with snippets of about the history of sushi both in the US and in Japan. Who knew a book could be both so entertaining and informative. It also made me crave real, traditional sushi, so beware of this additional consequence of reading this book. ( )
  OpheliaAwakens | Sep 27, 2010 |
The book's real strength is Corson's skill at making the science of sushi interesting, presenting details in a playful and unintimidating manner for those of us without backgrounds in marine biology. He provides fascinating detail of a number of the most popular sushi toppings, imbuing his descriptions with just enough scientific trivia to capture the fascination of his mass-market target audience yet not give the impression he is watering down his presentations. Throughout the book, he covers topics such as the biology of tuna (which are, believe it or not, a warm-blooded sh); the composition of various types of muscles in sh and their differing flavor profiles; the anti-bacterial characteristics of sushi garnishes, such as shredded radish and perilla (shiso 紫蘇) leaves; and the (truly fascinating) life-cycle of eels.

I am a fish, cuisine is my sea.
I am a fish. Cuisne is my sea.
Kate Murray's alarm clock went off at 5:30 a.m.
Kate Murray's alarm clock went off at 5:30am.

Everything you never knew about sushi—its surprising origins, the colorful lives of its chefs, the bizarre behavior of the creatures that compose it—is revealed in this entertaining documentary account by the author of the highly acclaimed The Secret Life of Lobsters.

When a twenty-year-old woman arrives at America's first sushi-chef training academy in Los Angeles, she is unprepared for the challenges ahead: knives like swords, instructors like samurai, prejudice against female chefs, demanding Hollywood customers—and that's just the first two weeks.

In this richly reported story, journalist Trevor Corson shadows several American sushi novices and a master Japanese chef, taking the reader behind the scenes as the students strive to master the elusive art of cooking without cooking. With the same eye for drama and humor that Corson brings to the exploits of the chefs, he delves into the biology and natural history of the creatures of the sea. He illuminates sushi's beginnings as an Indo-Chinese meal akin to cheese, describes its reinvention in bustling nineteenth-century Tokyo as a cheap fast food, and tells the story of the pioneers who brought it to America. He shows how this unlikely meal is now exploding into the American heartland just as the long-term future of sushi may be unraveling.

The Zen of Fish is a compelling tale of human determination as well as a delectable smorgasbord of surprising food science, intrepid reporting, and provocative cultural history.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:14 -0400)

Trevor Corson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,020,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible