Invictus by Ryan Graudin

Invictus

by Ryan Graudin

This was EVERYTHING I've ever wanted from a book and more. It's late and I've just finished and I have tears in my eyes because it was SO EFFING GOOD. I really hope it's NOT a standalone, because I could go on trips with the crew of the INVICTUS for ages!!

I absolutely loved this book. It delivers on the promise of "Doctor Who meets Guardians of the Galaxy" (which are two of my most loved things!)

From the beginning when we meet Farway's mother and learn of his strange birth, to the end where it starts all over again -- i loved this book. I loved the crew, flamboyant Imogen, calculating Gram, and warm, clever Priya. I loved the fact that they have their own "trash panda". I loved the dynamics of the relationships between the characters. and i absolutely LOVED the world building that Ryan Graudin has done -- she made it so easy to visualize the world of Central and all the timelines they visited.

This book is a fun, bumpy adventure ride from one page to the next. I was sad that it was only a standalone, because i would love to go on another trip with the crew of the Invictus ANYTIME.

ohkamikaze | Sep 21, 2017 |
Farway Gaius McCarthy has a bit of reputation because he was born outside of time. His mother (from the 2300's) recorded history and fell in love with a Roman gladiator in 95 AD, which of course is forbidden. Facts are fudged so Farway's parentage doesn't come into question. His dream is to travel through history like his mother, who never returned from one of her assignments. Farway's whole world comes crashing down when he fails his final exam and is forever barred from his dream. A less savory man offers him a job to illicitly travel through time to obtain lost artifacts, but it all goes wrong when the girl who sabotaged his test holds one of those artifacts hostage to join their crew. Who is she and what does she want?

I really enjoyed the first half of the book. I love the idea of a world where time travel exists and it's an actual job to go back in time, blend in, and record key events for both historical record and public enjoyment. Even on illicit trips to the past, it's important to have a good engineer to do all the calculations and a good historian who will know what fashion, materials, and language would be commonplace for the time. I wish we could have seen a little more what a typical day in that world would have been, but more time is spent in other times.

Farway and his crew really drew me into the story. While Farway is a bit conceited and annoying, his romances with Priya is adorable and keeps him grounded. Priya is the medic onboard. Her steadfast nature balances out the more flighty and wild people on the crew and I liked her best. I do find it a little annoying that they are already in love when they start so we don't get to see how it developed. Another unspoken romance blossoms between carefree, colorful Imogen and by the numbers Gram. To round out the crew, they have a red panda generally being adorable and getting into mischief. The crew dynamic is balanced and they are really more family than friends.

The second half of the book revealed the mysterious girl's identity and introduced a whole disparate concept to the story that I didn't enjoy as much as everything else. The story was exciting and the characters grew and changed, but that concept just didn't really mesh with everything else for me. I rode out the story and generally enjoyed it, but I probably wouldn't read another book if it were a series. I would definitely read more from the author, but maybe not a science fiction based book. ( )
  titania86 | Sep 5, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031650307X, Hardcover)

Time flies when you're plundering history.

Farway Gaius McCarthy was born outside of time. The son of a time-traveling Recorder from 2354 AD and a gladiator living in Rome in 95 AD, Far's birth defies the laws of nature. Exploring history himself is all he's ever wanted, and after failing his final time-traveling exam, Far takes a position commanding a ship with a crew of his friends as part of a black market operation to steal valuables from the past.

But during a heist on the sinking Titanic, Far meets a mysterious girl who always seems to be one step ahead of him. Armed with knowledge that will bring Far's very existence into question, she will lead Far and his team on a race through time to discover a frightening truth: History is not as steady as it seems.

In this heart-stopping adventure, Ryan Graudin has created a fast-paced world that defies time and space.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 18 Mar 2017 23:22:47 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible