Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret…

An Enchantment of Ravens

by Margaret Rogerson

3411948,672 (3.94)6

This book is so bad.

Ok, so Isobel is a human living in the town of Whimsy, which is a town full of humans in the fairy lands. The humans live largely at the mercy of the capricious and amoral fairies, usually garnering favor through works of Craft, aka anything artisanal. Isobel paints portraits of wealthy fairies in exchange for useful enchantments, such as protection on her house and chickens that lay lots of eggs. But her world is turned upside down around page 10 when she meets a smoking hot fairy prince (side note: what is up with YA and princes? They're not that exciting) who wants his portrait painted. She feels an instant connection to this prince, a connection he feels as well. It's all warmth and heat and molten gold sinking into her body, because this book clearly has no idea what falling in love feels like. By page 40 Isobel is so madly in love she can't tell up from down. Which is bad, because there's a fairy law (of course) that humans and fairies aren't allowed to fall in love. But then things get dramatic when Isobel paints human emotion into the fairy prince's eyes. So he kidnaps her and tries to take her to trial (waht?) at his fairy court.

So then they just walk and walk and bicker. It's supposed to be sexy and witty banter, but it's just a stupid conversation between two stupid characters. Isobel announces she's so totally over the fairy prince, but then he has to take his shirt off on account of getting injured and then they just stare at each other and touch each other's faces, and then I stopped because I felt nauseated.

Anyways, this book is dumb and don't read it.
1 vote miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
This book reads like a cheap rip-off of Sarah J Maas's ACOTAR series (minus the super sloppy sex scenes which has become a hallmark in Maas novels). I can't even say that Rogerson has a unique writing style. I feel like she is heavily borrowing from Maas, Stiefvater, Bardugo and many others without creating a voice of her own. This book is heavy on the YA fantasy tropes and lacks originality. Its one redeeming quality is that it does have a beautiful cover. ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
3.5 I totally see why some people absolutely loved this and others hated it. It's well written and a beautiful world, but felt very rushed since the book is so short. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
This book was such an interesting concept on Fae and Faeries. Would highly recommend ( )
  heathalusta | Aug 27, 2018 |
Honestly, I feel very conflicted about how to rate this book. On one hand, I really enjoyed myself while reading it. The plot line was interesting and the romance easy to root for. However, on the other hand, the story failed to blow me away or leave me with any take away. Certain aspects of the story fell flat while other aspects seemed underdeveloped or unexplored. While the story was wrapped up nicely, I wish it had been longer so that certain elements could have been fleshed out. The romance was sweet, but I definitely feel it could have been developed and explored further.

Overall, I liked this book but it didn't blow me away the way that I had hoped it would. It was short and sweet, and I do look forward to any new work to be released from its author, but I'm sticking to eating this book 3 stars. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |

Isobel is a prodigy portrait artist with a dangerous set of clients: the sinister fair folk, immortal creatures who cannot bake bread, weave cloth, or put a pen to paper without crumbling to dust. They crave human Craft with a terrible thirst, and Isobel's paintings are highly prized. But when she receives her first royal patron--Rook, the autumn prince--she makes a terrible mistake. She paints mortal sorrow in his eyes--a weakness that could cost him his life. Furious and devastated, Rook spirits her away to the autumnlands to stand trial for her crime. Waylaid by the Wild Hunt's ghostly hounds, the tainted influence of the Alder King, and hideous monsters risen from barrow mounds, Isobel and Rook depend on one another for survival. Their alliance blossoms into trust, then love--and that love violates the fair folks' ruthless laws. Now both of their lives are forfeit, unless Isobel can use her skill as an artist to fight the fairy courts. Because secretly, her Craft represents a threat the fair folk have never faced in all the millennia of their unchanging lives: for the first time, her portraits have the power to make them feel.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,494,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible