As You Like It by William Shakespeare

As You Like It (original 1623; edition 1997)

by William Shakespeare

Member:amyandroland
Title:As You Like It
Authors:William Shakespeare
Info:Washington Square Press (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

As You Like It by William Shakespeare (Author) (1623)

English (55)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (59)
One of my faves by the Bard.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Seeing as I am not a native English speaker, this was quite difficult to read. I suspect much of the humor and wit went right over my head... :-)

But this was something I wanted to do for the longest time. Partly inspired by my high school English teacher who battled to expose us barbarians to some culture. We did a poem by Shakespeare in class and it was an eyeopener for me. Since then I was fascinated by him. I love all the movies made from his works, but never read any plays. Well, now i can cross it off my list. ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |

Genre: Play, Comedy
Pages: 120
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Orlando, youngest son of a dead lord, has been cheated by his older brother. He runs off to the Duke, out wrestles the duke's champion and meets, and falls in love with, Rosalind. He then runs off to the forest because the Duke didn't like his pappy. There he pines for Rosalind. He meets a young man, who is really Rosalind in diguise ands woos said young man who claims that he can cure anyone of love. Orlando is successful and Rosalind marries him, all the while she is orchestrating the marriage of 2 other couples along with her own nuptials. Orlando's brother gives up the estates to him, the naughty duke, Rosalind's Uncle, takes religious vows and Rosalind's daddy becomes ruler.

Everybody is happy. The End.

My Thoughts:

I keep wanting to treat these plays like novels and you just can't do that. The value contained in the words aren't necessarily the actual plots. Boy and Girl fall in love, overcome Incredible Odds, Happy Ending for Everyone. That story is as old and Jacob and Rachel. Yet, seeing these plot points is good as it gives you the necessary understanding of where so much of our modern stories come from. There is truly nothing new under the sun.

You can say that again.

What I am liking is the metred cadence. This is a play. It is meant to be spoken. While I am not, at this point in time, reading these outloud, I am not discounting the idea of doing that for one of these, just to hear how it flows. I am no thespian, nor poetic enough to write in iambic pentameter, but some time this year I'm going to try to write one of my reviews like it was a Shakespeare play. I already know that will take some serious work. The whole mindset has to be different than the prose I am used to and think in.

Honestly, I can't even tell you exactly what iambic pentameter IS or how to do it. I know roughly it is so many this and thats over so many lines, blah, blah, blah. Not sure if rhyming is necessary or not. See, I have a lot to learn before I even attempt a review like that. And Shakespeare wrote a whole raft full of the bloody things.

★★★☆½ ( )
2 vote BookstoogeLT | Apr 11, 2018 |
What a twisted web of a comedy this one was. I enjoyed most of it though (with a few big allowances for the age) with merry Men hiding in the woods, hidden identities, and happy endings all around (mostly). ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Apr 4, 2018 |
Possibly my favorite Shakespeare play ( )
  DelightedLibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

As I remember, Adam, it was upon this fashion bequeathed me by will but poor a thousand crowns, and, as thou sayest, charged my brother, on his blessing, to breed me well: and there begins my sadness.
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players.
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts...
The little foolery that wise men have makes a great show.
This work is for the complete As You Like It only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Presents the text of Shakespeare's comedy of love and redemption in exile, and includes a biographical sketch of the author, a selection of critical commentaries, and other reference materials.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714715, 0141012277

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,979,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible