Rozdarta zasłona by Maryla Szymiczkowa

Rozdarta zasłona (edition 2016)

by Maryla Szymiczkowa

Series: Zofia Turbotynska (2)

1011,474,437 (4.5)None
Member:BIFP
Title:Rozdarta zasłona
Authors:Maryla Szymiczkowa
Info:Kraków : Społeczny Instytut Wydawniczy Znak, 2016.
Tags:Powieść kryminalna polska, Powieść polska najnowsza

Karolina and the Torn Curtain by Maryla Szymiczkowa

Poland, police-corruption, political-corruption, 1890s, murder, murder-investigation, amateur-sleuth, women-sleuths, trafficking, historical-research, historical-fiction, cultural-exploration*****

Set in Poland at about the time when some of my grandparents left and came to a Polish enclave in Wisconsin, the names and speech patterns are only too familiar. Many thanks to Antonia Lloyd-Jones for her translation of this fun mystery. I also thought it a marvelous thing to "see" Crakow as it once was instead of the disaster left by the last world war.
Zofia is a rather snobbish wife of a professor who has a quick wit and an investigative bent. When one of her maids is found to have been murdered, her investigation (AKA snooping) brings her to the world of involuntary trafficking (which has yet to be eradicated in today's world). The main characters are perfect foils and the humor keeps the reality at a distance. Well done and even more enjoyable when the names are familiar in our area!
I highly recommend this book and plan to buy a print copy for my local library (and nag my Cleveland kid to do the same).
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt/Mariner Books via NetGalley. Thank you! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Apr 4, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,069,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible