Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Invisible Emmie by Terri Libenson

Invisible Emmie (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Terri Libenson (Author), Terri Libenson (Illustrator)

Member:JenMat
Title:Invisible Emmie
Authors:Terri Libenson (Author)
Other authors:Terri Libenson (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2017), 192 pages
Rating:*****

Invisible Emmie by Terri Libenson (2017)

Invisible Emmie is about two girls, Emmie and Katie. Emmie is a shy artist who only has one or two friends. Meanwhile, Katie is a social butterfly with more friends than she can count. One day, Emmie wrote a poem about her crush and a boy found it. He showed it to the class, and everyone laughed at her. She runs to the bathroom, and Katie follows to comfort her. They switch places later after drama, Katie becomes reserved and Emmie, a popular girl.
I like the social commentary featured. It's interesting seeing a story from two sides. Things can seem totally different from a different view. I also like that no character is particularly "bad". Most books stress the idea of good guys versus bad guys, and in this book, no one was two-dimensional like that. It showed that people are just people, and villains aren't always so evil. Overall, I'd say that this book was pretty good. I'd rate it 7/10. ( )
  CarolinaT.G1 | Jan 16, 2019 |
Very clever middl grade novel. I read this with my 12 year old daugher and there is surprise ending that even I didn't see coming! I encourage you to try it. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
This story was told from the perspective of two girls, one popular and outgoing and the other shy. This story details the craziness of middle school and the different struggles young girls face in school. I found this book to be difficult to relate to academic content but this story could help young girls facing similar situations. ( )
  BreeRud | Dec 3, 2018 |
This story alternates between two characters' viewpoints, each in their own unique style. The title protagonist, Emmie, describes her day and shares her feelings in a paragraph style interspersed with frequent illustrations, while Katie's experiences are rendered in comic-style panels. Their experiences closely parallel each other, as their timelines are essentially progressing at the same time. You'll see Emmie rendered as a peripheral character as Katie goes through her trouble-free middle-school day surrounded by friends who adore her. I don't want to say much more than that about Katie, I'm concerned about giving too much away. Let me say instead that I was able to relate to Emmie, who feels isolated and "invisible" to her classmates. Potential readers of this book might be those students who enjoy"Wimpy Kid" by Jeff Kinney, or "Dork Diaries" by Rachel Renee Russell, as well as those who enjoy Raina Telgemeier's graphic novels. ( )
  Cynthia_Parkhill | Nov 24, 2018 |
I enjoyed this mixed media exploration of insecurities and owning oneself. Would recommend along the lines of Smile and El Deafo. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
This is me.

Perfect for fans of Raina Telgemeier and Jennifer L. Holm, Invisible Emmie is a humorous and surprising debut graphic novel by Terri Libenson, creator of the internationally syndicated, Reuben Award-winning comic strip The Pajama Diaries.

This is the story of two totally different girls—
quiet, shy, artistic Emmie
popular, outgoing, athletic Katie
—and how their lives unexpectedly intersect one day, when an embarrassing note falls into the wrong hands. . . .

All the crushes, humiliations, boredom, and drama of middle school are compressed into one surprising day in this extraordinary novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 02 May 2017 17:00:17 -0400)

This is the story of two totally different girls -- quiet, shy, artistic Emmie and popular, outgoing, athletic Katie -- and how their lives unexpectedly intersect one day, when an embarrassing note falls into the wrong hands. All the crushes, humiliation, boredom, and drama of middle school are compressed into one surprising day.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,517,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible