Magic Reborn: The Peacesmith Series, Book 1:…

Magic Reborn: The Peacesmith Series, Book 1: A New Adult Urban Fantasy…

by Carly Hansen

I received this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This book starts with us witnessing the gruesome murder of a young girl, all from her point of view, leading us to feel as if we woke up from a bad dream, meeting our heroine Fenix, who is one badass young woman. Fenix has to keep her gender secret, so she dresses as a young boy, hiding her feminine qualities even from those closest to her. Little does she know, one person who is her protector knows her secret plus one other that not even Fenix understands. This story takes us through a tale of magic, with witches, vampires and werewolves, as well as other not so known supernatural creatures of the night. Someone is trying to start a war between these supernaturals’ and Fenix really becomes their last hope if she can learn to control her powers.
I gave four stars to this book only because it was so entertaining and the ending really did it for me, not being your typical storybook ending. For a first book, I think this series has great potential and deserves your attention, it has a few flaws but once you get used to the authors writing style I found it to be a quick, enjoyable read. ( )
  epikcreations | Apr 20, 2017 |
I obtained an ARC of this book and I decided to write a review. I decided to give this book 3 ½ stars, and I have to admit that I might have been a little too biased. Probably I didn’t read the description of the book very carefully because the subject of this novel isn’t my cup of tea and probably I would have skipped it.
I deducted one star and a half because the beginning of the book was difficult to follow, however, the remaining part of the novel was good enough. It took me a while to warm up to the main character, Fenix, however, I can say that the young woman is well rounded. I wasn’t very sold on some of the secondary characters but I did like Java the Falcon and even Micha, the vampire.
There was enough action as well as changes in situation to keep my attention. ( )
  roxana.nastase | Apr 10, 2017 |
This is the first book in the Peacemaker Series. I must say, I really enjoyed reading it. It captured my imagination from the first page and held me spellbound to the very end. The premise was unique in a genre that has become so popular that it is difficult to go outside the bounds of known fantasy characters. The story follows the adventures of Fenix, a girl passing herself off as a boy in order to hide from her past. She is scared of who she is and is constantly running from that until forced to confront and even embrace her difference. This explanation sounds like the formula for many other coming-of-age stories which is why it works and is so enjoyable to read. But the power she has is unique and is what sets this book apart from others of its type. It also reminds us that being who we are meant to be gives us more power than resisting. We need to embrace our own individuality in order to succeed. I look forward to reading more in this series. It has earned 4 out of 5 stars for its originality and the pure pleasure I had in reading this. ( )
  BekahMorel | Apr 8, 2017 |
Magic Reborn was a breath of fresh air for me! It's style was a reminder of the kind of book that sparked my love of reading years (and years lol) ago. Books that weren't packed with numerous storylines to form a complex plot or characters performing act after act of overly fantastical feats to be considered a good read.

Author, Carly Hansen, weaves a tale that from the very start grips you with fear for the safety for a young woman alone in a tent in the forest in the town of Bristall. You soon learn of the grisly events of that night which are not as clear as they were made to appear and wholeheartedly want to discover the answer to who or what is responsible. Hansen's protagonist, Fenix, is a girl endowed with magical powers that she herself has not explored the capabilities of and has kept secret from all who know her. Fenix is part of a "gang" of four living with and running tasks for a witch. These tasks often lead up to serious physical confrontations with demons or monsters of various ilk and it's evident that her magic wants to manifest but Fenix uses great will to block it. All this leaves the reader dying to know why! Hansen keeps the story moving concisely and you become more invested in finding these answers and more that come up along the way.

What I loved most about Magic Reborn was Hansen's perfect touch, not too heavy and not too light, toward all things preternatural. It's a testament to the author's skillful writing that as an adult I was able to experience that sense of wonder, as I had as a young reader, in the realm of possibilities that long held myths could actually turn out be true. It's plausible that vampires do exist, that magic is the source of obscure events and opens the door to other eventualities.

An easy but no less intriguing read that leaves you delighted that it's the first book in a series so you're able to sate your appetite for more! ( )
  mtchrista | Apr 6, 2017 |
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. The fantasy genre is so crowded, and so are vampires, magic and werewolves. However, this was a fresh take on an overdone subject. The main character, Fenix, is interesting and I can't wait to see how she develops as the series continues. Its a great read! ( )
  frfowler | Apr 4, 2017 |

On the run and disguised as a boy, Fenix Graystone finds sanctuary when a witch opens her home, arms her with charmed knives, and transforms her into a fearsome fighter. But when an enigmatic vampire overlord arrives seeking help to solve the murders of three young women, Fenix's newfound peace shatters.

The kidnapping of a fourth girl stirs up strange emotions in Fenix, bringing her illegal magical powers to the surface. But the magic within her points Fenix to suspects too close to the vampire overlord for comfort.

Now she must ally with an enemy she didn't even know she had if she hopes to rescue the girl and bring the killers to justice--before she becomes their next victim.

If you like fast-paced action, strong female leads, and a dreamy love interest, you'll want to escape to this world.

Scroll up and get your copy now!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 23 Mar 2017 23:09:41 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Carly Hansen's book Magic Reborn: The Peacesmith Series Book 1 was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Carly Hansen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible