The Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase

The Wildling Sisters

by Eve Chase

I discovered Eve Chase earlier this year when I read her book “Black Rabbit Hall” which I truly enjoyed. So when I heard she had another book coming out I knew I had to read it. And I was not disappointed. The “Wildling Sisters” is told in dual time lines, summer of 1959 and the other 50 years later. I enjoyed the historical time line much better than the present.

From the first chapter, which completely grabs your attention, there is a fascinating atmosphere of mystery. I could not put this book down; I was in a race to get to the end, although I didn’t want it to end. The story is slow-moving, a very moody Gothic tale. The mystery is maintained throughout the whole book. The only issue I had, I didn’t feel the “past” met the “present” very smoothly, but I would highly recommend this book and author.

4.5* rounded up. ( )
  TraceyTurnsThePage2 | Jul 23, 2018 |
The Wildling Sisters has the components necessary for an interesting novel; however, for me it was only average. The setting, Applecote Manor, is a large home in the Cotswolds. In 1959, four sisters from London arrive to stay with their paternal uncle and his wife for the summer. Their cousin, Audrey, the couple's only child, vanished five years earlier at the age of 12. Fifty years later, a London couple with two children, buy it despite its need for a massive renovation. The earlier story far outweighs the later one in terms of interest. Audrey's disappearance is the mystery and the setting is gothic. The mystery is solved, the sisters' lives revealed and the current owners resolve their difficulties. ( )
1 vote pdebolt | Jul 22, 2018 |
Then in the Summer of 1959 and the Wilde sisters, Flora, Pam, Margot and Dot go to stay with there aunt and uncle at Applecote Manor in the Cotswolds. Five years earlier there cousin Audrey disappeared. Now, Jessie, Will and their two daughters buy Applecote Manor to start a new life.

This book is a dual story about the two families in different times but both connected by the vanishing of Audrey. I really enjoy theses type of stories, which are very much like books by Kate Morton.

This story drew me straight in with the opening chapters with the sister's and what is happening, the dragging of a body. I very much enjoyed the sections of the story devoted to the sisters which is narrated by Margot. The part of the story devoted to Jessie and family is told in the third person. Both timelines do come together and all is resolved.

For me these type of stories are like putting on a pair of comfy slippers. I enjoy the mystery and like to get involved with the characters. I am sorry to leave the sisters lives.

I really enjoyed this book very much but felt the ending did come together a little bit too nicely with everything wrapped up. This is not always a bad thing but sometimes it's nice to have a little twist. However the book was still a good enjoyable read. ( )
  tina1969 | Jun 29, 2018 |
An engrossing read. As usual, I am in two minds about how much to tell you. I don't want to spoil the surprises for you.

The author handles the two time frames very well, with quite separate stories evolving from each.

Bella, Jessie's stepdaughter in the second story, is about the same age as Margot, the narrator of the first story, was in 1959. But she has had a dreadful shock - her mother died in a road accident and her father has re-married. In addition she now has a baby sister. She is resentful of her step-mother and very definitely does not want to move from London. But despite herself Bella becomes engrossed with the rumours about what happened at Applecote Manor over fifty years before, when Audrey Wilde went missing.

In 1959 Margot and her three sisters arrive at Applecote to stay with their aunt and uncle. They haven't been there for five years since their cousin Audrey disappeared and things are much changed. Dot the youngest sister is 12 years old, the same age Audrey was when she vanished, and Margot at 15 is a painful reminder to her aunt and uncle of what they have lost.

Highly recommended. ( )
  smik | Mar 31, 2018 |
This is my first experience reading Eve Chase, though Black Rabbit Hall is on my TBR. Chase has mastered the art of suspense, weaving a story into two timelines that pull you in like a spiders web. Beginning with a murder, a dragged out body, the sweat and swelter of summer, and the intoxicating and claustrophobic closeness that is the bond between the Wildling Sisters. Chase also has the exquisite talent of turning the very setting of the novel into a character; Applecote Manor is both setting and antagonist. While I read this quickly, the pace is slow and simmering like summer days in the 50's, when times were simpler and days felt longer. There were a few mysteries in this novel for me, naturally there is Audrey, there is a murder, there are questions you have that never quite get answered and that's okay; they aren't ones that you really want answers too. Chase balances past with present to keep you guessing, but she doesn't seem to favor one timeline over the other. Like most readers I found the past timeline and story to be a bit more compelling than the modern story line, however both serve their purpose in this novel. Hands down once this comes out in July everyone should read it. ( )
  BrainyHeroine | Mar 20, 2018 |
I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows
Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk-roses and with eglantine.

-- William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
For Ben
None of us can bear to touch his belt, so horrifyingly intimate.

"An evocative novel in the vein of Kate Morton and Daphne Du Maurier, in which the thrill of first love clashes with the bonds of sisterhood, and all will be tested by the dark secret at the heart of Applecote Manor"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,979,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible