Munich: A novel by Robert Harris

Munich: A novel (2017)

by Robert Harris

English (19)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (21)
Robert Harris never disappoints me. ( )
  sblock | Aug 8, 2018 |
In 1938, world peace hangs in the balance, as the ambitious Chancellor of Germany Adolf Hitler demands the annexation of the Sudeten region of Czechoslovakia (and announces his intention to take it by force), while British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, remembering the carnage of the Great War only 20 years previously, desperately wants to spare his countryman -- and the world -- a repeat. Against this backdrop, we are presented with the stories of two men -- one English, one German -- estranged friends from days at Oxford, both involved with the diplomatic/foreign affairs services of their respective countries: Hugh Legat and Paul von Hartmann. As a last minute concession, Hitler agrees to meet Chamberlain in Munich to see if war can be averted. Hartmann has information about Hitler's plans he wants to give to the Prime Minister and hopes his good friend will facilitate a meeting. -- The novel takes place in four days and alternating chapters advance the story from Legat's and Hartmann's points of view. The author masterfully conveys the heightened tensions of the time, and his portrait of Neville Chamberlain is an especially interesting one. Quite a page-turner... ( )
  David_of_PA | Jul 14, 2018 |
Easy reading writing. Excellent characters. Excellent interpretation of the times and events. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Jun 18, 2018 |
OK, not nearly as good as his best historical novels. ( )
  starkravingmad | May 19, 2018 |
Munich is a book that I read quickly, probably because the book was not that thick, but I have to admit that I was also totally captivated by the story set during four days in September 1938. Robert Harris is a writer who has the ability to write books, whether it's historical or more modern, that captivate and Munich is definitely no exception. Something I thought while reading the book was how little I really knew about the Munich agreement or, probably more accurately, I remembered, and I was fascinated to read how Chamberlain really sought to preserve peace in Europe, while Hitler seemed to strive to go to war.

I found the story to be very compelling, while the men of power are planning a meeting in Munich, things are happening off the scene. Not everyone in Germany is on Hitler's side and some of them wouldn't mind getting rid of him. For Hugh Legat, one of Chamberlain's private secretaries, will these four days become very intense when an old friend contacts him again. Paul Hartmann, German diplomat and member of the anti-Hitler movement. Can they stop Hitler's plans?

Munich is captivating, well-written and memorable. I'm particularly impressed with the personality descriptions and especially Chamberlain whose will was to preserve peace at any price. Was it cowardly to sign the Munich Agreement to ignore the signs that this is only a respite? Well, we have the luxury of being able to look back and know that nothing had stopped Hitler and I have to admit that I feel sympathy for Chamberlain and his peacekeeping attitude.

Thanks to Bookmarks förlag for the review copy! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 14, 2018 |

Robert Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fowlie, GemmaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'We dienen ons er altijd van bewust te zijn dat wat nu in het verleden ligt ooit in de toekomst heeft gelegen.'
- F.W. Maitland, historicus (1850-1906)
'We hadden in 1938 de oorlog moeten beginnen [...] september 1938 zou het gunstigste tijdstip zijn geweest.'
- Adolf Hitler, februari 1945
Voor Matilda

September 1938. Hitler is determined to start a war. Chamberlain is desperate to preserve the peace.The issue is to be decided in a city that will forever afterwards be notorious for what takes place there. Munich. As Chamberlain's plane judders over the Channel and the Fuhrer's train steams relentlessly south from Berlin, two young men travel with secrets of their own. Hugh Legat is one of Chamberlain's private secretaries; Paul Hartmann a German diplomat and member of the anti-Hitler resistance. Great friends at Oxford before Hitler came to power, they haven't seen one another since they were last in Munich six years earlier. Now, as the future of Europe hangs in the balance, their paths are destined to cross again. When the stakes are this high, who are you willing to betray? Your friends, your family, your country or your conscience?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,030,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible