A Bigger Table: Building Messy, Authentic,…

A Bigger Table: Building Messy, Authentic, and Hopeful Spiritual Community

by John Pavlovitz

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The question I kept asking after each chapter was why was this book written? For those who have read his blog you basically get he book. It’s not bad but it’s not really needed. ( )
  morningrob | Mar 5, 2018 |
I won this in a GOODREADS giveaway -- A Bigger Table: Building Messy, Authentic, and Hopeful Spiritual Community by John Pavlovitz. ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jan 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I read the title of Pastor Pavlovitz's book, I was eager to dig into what I had hoped would be a feast of hope and inspiration. However, after reading, what I came away with felt much more like left over bitter herbs that have fallen from the pocket of one still wandering the painful landscape of human imperfection. This book seems to be less about inspiration than about the author's own frustration with the very human and very broken system of Christendom.

As I began reading the book, I was initially excited to see that the discussion begins with the author's marking of a specific date and time. So very many personal reports of life-changing encounters begin this way. I was poised to encounter joy in reading about how yet again someone's life has been buoyed by God's interruption and intervention. But alas! The date marked was simply the date of yet another national election -- hmm.

Dare I point out to Pastor --and other potential readers of his book -- that as imperfect Christians, our hope is to be anchored in Christ, not in any world system! Pastor, please go back to the proverbial drawing board and write again... give us a meaty sequel! Don't get bogged down in the whining and with the worries. Seek the Holy Spirit and ask for His Wisdom to give us more new and invigorating ways to engage one another to share around Christ's table. ( )
  silverquille | Nov 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Right now, when discussions are happening in many denominations and churches about inclusion this is a book that I felt I needed to read. Reading this Pastor's story about how he realized how narrow his view point was and worked at expanding it was refreshing. This book talks about the need to be more Christ like and to quit judging those around us. We are to love our neighbor as ourselves and as Christ loves us. If it gets messy in the process, so be it. We were never promised easy. We were promised that it could get uncomfortable but He would be with us every step.

I was given a copy of this book for the purposes of review.
  WillowOne | Nov 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The author discusses the need for Christians to include everyone in their community - those who are different from them, those who disagree with them, even those who believe different things. He spends a lot of time talking about including the LGBT community. He's honest about how this is not an easy thing to do and how he has struggled with this personally. I found it refreshing and it gave me a lot to think about. Hopefully it will change how I interact with people. ( )
  chgstrom | Oct 12, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

John Pavlovitz's book A Bigger Table is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible