Flying Witch, Vol 1 by Chihiro Ishizuka

Flying Witch, Vol 1 (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Chihiro Ishizuka

Makoto Kowata, a novice witch, packs up her belongings (including her black cat familiar) and moves in with her distant cousins in rural Aomori Prefecture, in the far north reaches of Japan, to complete her training and become a full-fledged witch.
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Flying Witch, Vol 1
Authors:Chihiro Ishizuka
Info:New York, NY : Vertical, Incorporated, 2017.
Collections:Read, Read this year, ebooks, Working on
Rating:***
Tags:Fic, GN, GN:Manga, @ReadFrom:LibraryLA

Flying Witch, 1 by Chihiro Ishizuka (2017)

Mildly amusing manga. I don't read much manga, and I suspect the parts that bother me are standard; but this got off to a very slow start (by the end of the first book she's just settled in to her new home, and done a total of two spells), and there's a lot about various relationships (her cousin, his girlfriend, the little girl whose name is similar to the cat) that's not very clear to me. I never did figure out who the little girl is - how she's related (I presume she is). The story is pleasant, mildly amusing, and not sufficiently interesting to me to read on. I also struggled a bit (as usual) with the right-to-left reading - I kept reading panels out of order, which sometimes contributed to confusion. I did see the (very vague) similarities to Kiki's Delivery Service - aside from "new/young witch moves to new place", not much. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 30, 2019 |
A chillaxing, slice-of-life story with a twist of magic added in. One might be tempted to even call it a "coming of age" story but nothing so dramatic happens in the series so far as I'm up to volume 6 with volume 7 coming soon. There are no arch-rivals, no threats to the world with earth shaking magical duels. Just a high school girl gaining more experience in her magical abilities after moving in with relatives in the Japanese countryside (sort of a reversed version of Kiki's Delivery Service where she moved to a big city). Naturally the art improves as the series progresses. If you want a change of pace from action manga/anime or even the anxiety of the real world we live in today then I heartily recommend this series. ( )
  Esper_Ranger | Jan 28, 2019 |
Real cute every day witchery. I enjoyed it. The relationships between characters are cute and quirky. ( )
1 vote emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
The artwork and dialogue is pleasant enough, but the stories are so mild as to be pointless. It's sort of a modern version of [b:Casper, the Friendly Ghost and Wendy, the Good Little Witch Storybook|5710627|Casper, the Friendly Ghost and Wendy, the Good Little Witch Storybook|Harvey Books Staff|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1308883085s/5710627.jpg|5882227], so kids might like it. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,181,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible