Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Provenance by Ann Leckie

Provenance (edition 2017)

by Ann Leckie (Author)

Series: Imperial Radch (4)

"Following her record-breaking debut trilogy, Ann Leckie, winner of the Hugo, Nebula, Arthur C. Clarke and Locus Awards, returns with an enthralling new novel of power, theft, privilege and birthright. A power-driven young woman has just one chance to secure the status she craves and regain priceless lost artifacts prized by her people. She must free their thief from a prison planet from which no one has ever returned. Ingray and her charge will return to her home world to find their planet in political turmoil, at the heart of an escalating intergalactic conflict. Together, they must make a new plan to salvage Ingray's future, her family, and her world, before they are lost to her for good"--… (more)
Member:petrichor8
Title:Provenance
Authors:Ann Leckie (Author)
Info:Orbit (2017), Edition: First Edition, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Provenance by Ann Leckie

The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Arifel)
    Arifel: For young protagonists with big, largely self-imposed parental obligations, trying to operate on a much larger political scale than they are really ready for.
    The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: The Goblin Emperor is fantasy not sci-fi, but it's amazing and similar in some interesting ways and it's one of the best books around.

I loved being back in Anne Leckie's world, although this book stays away from the major plot points of the main series and instead focuses on a family drama with a murder and a heist thrown in. There are references to the rise of the AIs and the bigger political changes, but it really just provides atmosphere for a young woman figuring out her position in her family and society. ( )
  duchessjlh | Sep 22, 2020 |
Perfect plane read, with a hint of mystery and lots of fascinating characters. I think I'm leaning a bit more toward 3.5 stars, but it was fun enough that I decided to round up. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
"You said you had some sort of a plan?"
"I hadn't worked out the details yet, because I didn't know if you would agree to come with me."
"Well," said Garal, as the floor and the table shivered with the thunk of the airlock closing, "I'd say it's time to start working them out." ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Jun 4, 2020 |
In her latest bid for her mother's approval as heir to her political title, Ingray hatches a hare-brained scheme to get a thief out of containment and bring him back to their home planet, to retrieve the stolen goods. But everything that can go wrong does so immediately, as way more intergalactic politics than Ingray planned on intrudes, particularly the Geck with whom they really don't want to break the treaty but who say the captain she's hired stole their ship.

The first three books set in this space opera series are first-person from an AI who used to be a ship with multiple bodies, ancillaries, all working together. Breq, alas, is nowhere in this book though events of the previous stories are obliquely referenced as a treaty that's going to be discussed at a later date. But once I got over that, I did enjoy following Ingray's adventures and seeing the ever-more-complicated events unfold. This is a book - a series, for that matter - that would reward rereading, I think, as I know there were details I missed the first time around. ( )
  bell7 | Jun 3, 2020 |
Ann Leckie's new novel is still set in the Imperial Radch universe, but don't be fooled... It's a very focused novel that details issues of family, inheritance, cultural relevance, and politics while completely surrounded by aliens and odd mores. Indeed, this novel is more of a comedy of manners than anything else, but there's also a bit of the mystery, murder, and mayhem as well.

Out of the original trilogy, I felt like this one matched the feel and fun of the third novel. Even so, I can't even begin to describe how many times I heard the exhortation, "Don't break the Treaty!" And of course, that's the source of most of the conflict.

Inheritance is the key motivator for Ingray, trying something new, which, of course, goes disastrously wrong. Need a thief to steal a priceless cultural artifact in order to prove that you're worthy? Ah, but first, make sure the provenance on all the key players and artifacts are up to snuff, please! :)

I really enjoyed this novel, but not in the traditional way. I tended to mostly rely on the laurels of the complicated world building that we've established in the previous novels and focused instead on the characterizations, the dialogue, and the subtleties. That's not bad, of course, but we're still destined to work for our pleasure. Gender neutrality is still a big deal in the expression of this novel, as is the complicated or rather odd names we need to keep track of.

My main issue was in the identification and thereby the connection with the characters. I can simultaneously appreciate that things aren't dumbed down for us while also having to work rather more hard not to get lost, but the fact is, it did pull me out of the tale a little too often. Maybe it wasn't entirely the names, either, but a lot of that was solved by having a rather small cast of characters. The only other issue might have had was in wanting some huge shattering change or revelation with far-reaching effects, but such is not in the cards for a comedy of errors. :)

Still, this is quite good! Fans of Leckie will still remain fans. :)
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Ann Leckieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"There were unexpected difficulties," said the dark gray blur.

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,763,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible