The End of Temperance Dare: A Novel by Wendy…

The End of Temperance Dare: A Novel

by Wendy Webb

Spoiler ALERT:

DAAANG!! I didn't see that coming. This book reminded me of the movie The Others. I've never read a book where the ghosts looked and acted like the living people and the living had no idea. The twists and turns gave me the goosebumps. I enjoyed this a lot and I am becoming more and more obsessed with Webb's books. Each one of her stories keeps pulling me to read more of her work.

On the negative side though, I was confused with the dates and time of the events and the corresponding ages of the characters; it seemed not everything was lining up. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Aug 30, 2018 |
As a BIG fan of haunted houses did The End of Temperance Dare really appeal to me. I mean an artist retreat that used to be a tuberculosis sanatorium? Count me in!

Now, this book isn't particularly scary, but it's interesting, atmospheric and well-written. I like that one really gets to know Eleanor Harper and that not everything happens too fast. It's not like the story is boring, the pacing is even, and we get to follow Eleanor as she learns the ropes of being the new director. She has hardly settled in before something unexpected happens that will change everything for her and the retreat and after that, well strange things keep happening. But, is the place really haunted?

The End of Temperance Dare is the first book I have read by Wendy Webb and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the book. Not that I did not expect to like it, rather I hoped that the writing style would work for me since the story seemed so interesting. I think Webb did an excellent job with the descriptions of the retreat and its surroundings. Also, I came to like Eleanor Harper and I didn't even mind the kind off triangle drama that she got caught up with, even though I personally found the "impossible" romance more interesting than her flirtation with the photographer. But, that's me, a sucker for the doomed or unusual romances.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Wanted to like this more but what are you doing? Romance, ghost story, historical fiction? It’s super hard to get this mix right ( )
  angelaelectric | Oct 2, 2017 |
Are you looking for an atmospheric, completely absorbing novel to read this summer (made even better if read during a thunderstorm)? Look no further! In Wendy Webb's latest gothic novel, readers meet Eleanor Harper, who recently left her crime-writing job due to post traumatic stress disorder after too many years spent covering gruesome cases. When the director of an artist's retreat decides to retire, it seems like the perfect opportunity for Eleanor. But from the moment she arrives at Cliffside Manor she is plunged into the building's dark past, one that included the manor being used as a tuberculosis sanatorium, and decades of mysterious deaths. If you're a fan of haunting, gothic novels with supernatural elements, and/or murder mysteries, this novel is for you! Make sure to check out Wendy Webb's other novels as well!

Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Agatha Christie meets Linda Blair in this book of things that go bump in the night. The story has the makings of a good mystery but it is derailed by so many things. Eleanor, A recently fired crime reporter accepts a job for which she has absolutely no qualifications. How does that happen? She arrives at Cliffside Manor, a previous TB Sanitarium, which is now an artist retreat. Again, a previous crime reporter is now the Director of an Artist’s Retreat. Really? If you dispense with the incredulity you may experience as a result of the lack of a more informative background the story actually moves along with a few interesting characters and twists and turns.

If you enjoy mysteries, a little romance, characters that run the gamut from sympathetic to puzzling, and wicked ghost stories with a strong propensity to the paranormal this might be the book for you. It was a very quick read. My final reaction was that even when you suspend all rational belief not everything should be tied up in a neat package.

Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for providing an ARC.
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |

"When Eleanor Harper becomes the director of a renowned artists' retreat, she knows very little of Cliffside Manor's dark past as a tuberculosis sanatorium, a "waiting room for death." After years of covering murder and violence as a crime reporter, Eleanor hopes that being around artists and writers in this new job will be a peaceful retreat for her as much as for them. But from her first fog-filled moments on the manor's grounds, Eleanor is seized by a sense of impending doom and realizes there's more to the institution than its reputation of being a haven for creativity. After the arrival of the new group of artists-- including the intriguing, handsome photographer Richard Banks-- she beings to suspect that her predecessor chose the group with a dangerous purpose in mind. As the chilling mysteries of Cliffside Manor unravel and the eerie sins of the past are exposed, Eleanor must fight to save the artists-- and herself-- from sinister forces." --… (more)

Wendy Webb is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,960,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible