Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin

Young Jane Young

by Gabrielle Zevin

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar sharp, witty style of writing

At once reminiscent and referencing of the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal, Young Jane Young is the story of an intern who has an affair with a Congressman and what happens when the affair becomes public knowledge. The story is told from differing viewpoints, most hilariously that of Jane’s mother Rachel. The narratives are from differing points in time– before, during and after the affair, and they are not linear, and yet this telling works surprisingly well.

The tone of the novel is fairly light, reminiscent of "Bridget’s Jones’ Diary" and "The Rosie Effect", and the fourth wall is breached when the reader is asked “What Would You Do” type questions, with multiple answers provided. The answer that is the one that the characters choose is, of course, never the correct one, the one that we, the all knowing reader would have chosen. Choices are a big theme in this novel, and some readers may find themselves exasperated by the poor choices made in the story, but without poor choices/mistakes, there would be no learning, no consequences and definitely, no story! So if you have always made the right choice, never led with your heart instead of your head, never taken a risk, well this novel may frustrate and annoy you. For the rest of us, this is a fun, easy, read with memorable characters, a few surprises, some insights and many laughs.
1 vote Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
A handsome Congressman, a young intern…you know the rest…sort of. The story is formulaic, but avoids banality by the way the author structured the book. It unfolds in multiple voices, each attempting to examine their reaction to the same event. The characters are well-drawn and include a precocious child which adds to the narrative. I liked it and would continue reading this author. ( )
  beebeereads | Jun 1, 2018 |
Lots of stuff to like in this book, including a visit to the Jewish community in Southern Florida. ( )
  bookczuk | May 31, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book and the narrator! The beginning and ending was good however the middle was a bit slow and boring. ( )
  damred | May 15, 2018 |
I read an ARC of this book in exchange for a fair review. The book is the story of Aviva Grossman/Jane Young and it is told from the point of view of her mother Rachel, her daughter Ruby, Aviva /Jane and Embeth Levin the wife of the man whom Aviva/Jane had an affair with changing all of their lives. I like all of the women in the book, they are strong, brave, and while they make mistakes they grow from them. I think my favourite part of the book is Ruby’s adventure with Embeth which leads to a reconciliation between Aviva/Jane and her mother. The different points of view add much to the telling of the story giving it depth. I could relate to a number of the experiences of the women in the book as a daughter, as a mother and as a friend. I would recommend this book as I enjoyed reading it very much. ( )
  nmgski | May 11, 2018 |
My dear friend Roz Horowitz met her new husband online dating, and Roz is three years older and fifty pounds heavier than I am, and people have said that she is generally not as well preserved, and so I thought I would try it even though I avoid going online too much.

"Young Jane Young's heroine is Aviva Grossman, an ambitious Congressional intern in Florida who makes the life-changing mistake of having an affair with her boss who is beloved, admired, successful, and very married and blogging about it. When the affair comes to light, the Congressman doesn't take the fall, but Aviva does, and her life is over before it hardly begins. She becomes a late night talk show punchline; she is slut shamed, labeled as fat and ugly, and considered a blight on politics in general. How does one go on after this? In Aviva's case, she sees no way out but to change her name and move to a remote town in Maine. She tries to start over as a wedding planner, to be smarter about her life, and to raise her daughter to be strong and confident. But when, at the urging of others, she decides to run for public office herself, that long ago mistake trails her via the Internet like a scarlet A. For in our age, Google guarantees that the past is never, ever, truly past, that everything you've done will live on for everyone to know about for all eternity. And it's only a matter of time until Aviva's daughter, Ruby, finds out who her mother was, and is, and must decide whether she can still respect her. Following three generations of women, plus the wife of the Congressman, YOUNG JANE YOUNG is a sympathetic, smart, funny, and very moving novel about what it means to be a woman of any age. Told in varying voices and emails and even a Choose Your Own Adventure section, it captures not just the mood of our recent highly charged political season, but also the double standards alive and well in every aspect of life for women"--… (more)

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,106,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible