Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Against the Law [with bonus book…

Against the Law [with bonus book 'Twelve-Gauge Guardian'] (2017)

by Kat Martin, B. J. Daniels

412,429,975 (3)None

In "Against the Law", handbag designer Lark Delaney gets more than she bargained for when she seeks out Devlin Raines to help her find her sister's child, who was put up for adoption at birth. At first, the idea is to find the child and make sure she is in a loving home. However, Lark and Dev arrive just as the adoptive parents and nanny are killed. Further adventures occur after the child is kidnapped from Lark's home and taken to Mexico and when one of the drug lord's underlings comes seeking revenge.

It's hard to believe a handbag designer could be so cool going on an op in Mexico or even that the seasoned men would allow her to accompany them, though I do understand her desperation to retrieve the child unharmed.

I didn't like that Lark and Dev became "friends with benefits". Even though I don't like the idea, I could see the two of them giving in to lust once but at some point, both made a conscious choice to continue in that relationship. I'm not sure Dev's history fully explained his reluctance to consider a future with Lark for so long. I'm on the fence about that one.

I didn't quite understand the title--yes, many things they did were against the law, but they weren't really fighting law enforcement so ...

In the bonus story "Twelve-Gauge Guardian", Pepper Winchester wants her family to return to the family ranch to try to figure out who killed her son Trace. She's convinced it was a family member because her grandkids never said what they saw from the third floor room that day. That part of the story is not solved in this book. Pepper's grandson Cyrus is involved in a hit and run accident that leaves him in a coma. His twin brother teams up with Raine (the woman Cyrus was trying to save) to solve who's behind it.

Again, I didn't get the title. How is a twelve-gauge a guardian? Yes, Cordell did use a shotgun in the very end to save them, but it wasn't a big part of the story.

The story is similar in that Cordell has been hurt by his ex-wife and is wary of entering into a relationship with another woman, though he doesn't fight it as much as Dev does in the first story.

I like that Raine is willing to relive difficult times to protect others from the same fate that she suffered as a child despite it being difficult for her. I also liked that Cordell was willing to support her in doing this without interfering with her--but while still being there to assist her and support her when she needed it. But again, they decide to satisfy their desires with each other before defining their relationship with each other. ( )
  JenniferRobb | May 20, 2018 |

Kat Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, B. J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Special thanks to my brother-in-law, longtime pilot Rex Martin, for his help with the flying portions of this book and my other books.
*****
This book is dedicated to mothers. Please warn your children not only about strangers but what to do if they are approached by them. We need to keep our little ones safe.
He had everything he ever wanted.
Do not combine this 2-in-1 book with the individual stories contained in the book. Thanks.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373537794, Mass Market Paperback)

THE CALL OF THE SIREN

Former US Army Ranger Devlin Raines is mostly retired from his investigation business—and definitely retired from getting involved with beautiful women. But when Lark Delaney asks him to find her four-year-old niece who was put up for adoption as a baby, Dev can't say no.

The investigation soon takes a dangerous turn when Dev discovers that the girl's parents have been murdered and the toddler has been taken. Lark needs Dev now more than ever, and he struggles to fight his growing attraction to her. He can't trust his judgment around Lark, and with the life of the little girl—and their own—at stake, Dev can't afford to let down his guard…

FREE BONUS STORY INCLUDED IN THIS VOLUME!

Twelve-Gauge Guardian by New York Times Bestselling Author B.J. Daniels

Cowboy PI Cordell Winchester can't ignore a lady in need—but journalist Raine Chandler is not only in danger, she's a temptation he can't resist…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 30 Mar 2017 16:09:57 -0400)

Former US Army Ranger Devlin Raines is mostly retired from his investigation business--and definitely retired from getting involved with beautiful women. But when Lark Delaney asks him to find her four-year-old niece who was put up for adoption as a baby, Dev can't say no. The investigation soon takes a dangerous turn when Dev discovers that the girl's parents have been murdered and the toddler has been taken. Lark needs Dev now more than ever, and he struggles to fight his growing attraction to her. He can't trust his judgment around Lark, and with the life of the little girl--and their own--at stake, Dev can't afford to let down his guard... --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,468,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible