Taming the Star Runner by S. E. Hinton

Taming the Star Runner

by S. E. Hinton

Riding Invisible by Sandra Alonzo (meggyweg)
    Dooley Takes The Fall by Norah McClintock (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: In both cases the teen protagonist is staying with a benevolent uncle after getting into serious trouble with the law.

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
This book surprised me a lot. I really enjoyed it though. What surprised me was what the book was about I though that itwould be about having to tame the star runner. He was barely in the book though it was about Travis and his whole life changing just by meeting his uncle. This is an amazing book. ( )
  ElCa0720 | Mar 20, 2011 |
This is the story of Travis, a young man sent to live with an uncle he barely knows after an altercation with an abusive step father. Travis was one of the cool kids at his previous school but everyone at this new school is different and they steer clear of him. He becomes a loner not by his own choice. THen he befriends the girl that works at the horse barn. She is a stubborn, strong young woman with wishes to tame the troublesome horse names Star Runner. Travis falls in love, a little to suddenly. Travis has a secret that he has not shared with anyone - he wrote a book and sent it off to a publisher. When he gets news about his secret, he has no one to tell, goes out and gets drunk and causes his uncle regret. After talking to each other, they become closer. Good characterization, as usual with S.E. Hinton. ( )
  aimless22 | Mar 15, 2010 |
181/181 pages

This book is about a boy named Travis, who is forced to live at his Uncle Ken's ranch because he assault his stepfather for disposing some of the writings that Travis wrote for his book. When he gets goes to live at his uncle's home, and he becomes good friends with a girl named Casey Kencaide, who is a horseback riding teacher at Ken's ranch. She is the only one brave enough to ride a horse named the Star Runner and Travis learns that he and the Star Runner are not meant to be tamed or broken, even when things get rough.

Travis is a big, tough teenage guy. He becomes more caring towards Casey and Ken and he also develops a closer relationship with them. I think that Travis has the potential to be a successful man because he has written his own book and it was published.

In the book, Travis didn't make a lot of friends when he first moved to a new place. I can relate to this because it was first hard for me to make new friends at Moreau because there weren't a lot of people that went to Moreau from my old school.

There wasn't anything that I didn't like in the this book. All the problems and characters were believable and that is why I liked the book.

I would recommend this book to teenagers because their are realistic relationship problems in this book between family member and friends. If you don't fix these problem, it can jeopardize your relationship. ( )
  jlazaro | Dec 17, 2007 |
One of the newer S. E. Hinton novels and maybe even one of her best.

This book is a little long, but really one of her more unique books. It doesn't have anything to do with gangs. This is the story of an only child who is sent to his uncle's farm because he is a juvenile delinquent. He learns how to take care of horses and eventually leanrs how to take care of himself. He is a fantastic writer who is always coming up with stories and typing them on his typewritter.

It is said that this is a slight biography of S. E. Hinton herself. She has said that many things that happen in this book also happened to her. Wowsers.

I really enjoyed this book and its humor. It really stands on its own among her other book. ( )
  slightlyfan | Jan 17, 2007 |
To Nicholas David
His boot felt empty without his knife in it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440204798, Paperback)

“A powerful story. . . . Travis is Everyteen: part insecure hell-raiser, part closet intellectual, prone to both sneers and tears. Hinton continues to grow more reflective in her books, but her great understanding, not of what teenagers are but of what they can hope to be, is undiminished.”—Kirkus Reviews

An ALA Best Books for Young Adults

An ALA Quick Pick

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:33 -0400)

Sent to live with his uncle after a violent confrontation with his stepfather, sixteen-year-old Travis, an aspiring writer, finds life in a small Oklahoma town confining until he meets an eighteen-year-old horse trainer named Casey.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,042,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible