Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers by…

Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers (edition 2017)

by Deborah Heiligman (Author)

204984,891 (4.24)17
Member:Mrs.Jacobs
Title:Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers
Authors:Deborah Heiligman (Author)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2017), 464 pages
Collections:Battle of the Books Covers, New Books

Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers by Deborah Heiligman

Deborah Heiligman does a fantastic job of “painting” a visually and emotionally stimulating image of Van Gogh’s relationships with his family and friends. Each of the short chapters is packed with so much feeling that I could not wait to see what happened next. I really knew I was hooked when Heiligman wrote, “So, let’s stay here for a while and enjoy the scene…”

I really liked Vincent and Theo... because I have been to the Netherlands, I like brilliant, complex people like Vincent, and I love exploring the effect that relationships with numerous people in various aspect of your life can have on you. ( )
  LaMaestra72 | Jan 9, 2019 |
Story is based mostly on letters between Vincent and Theo. There are also letters from others, but it mostly about the brothers. The relationship of Vincent and Theo was really interesting. They both had mental health issues, but Vincent's were more prevalent. I was surprised that it seemed the Van Gogh family treated his metal health issues like a regular health issue, since that wasn't normal for the day. Vincent received a lot of help from doctors, family, and friends. This book does not shy away from any of the hard things that were part of the Van Gogh brothers' lives. Vincent dies because of injuries from an attempt at suicide, and is happy to die that way. Because of that, I would be thoughtful about the age and maturity level of the readers I would recommend this book to.
  heidimaxinerobbins | Jul 18, 2018 |
This book's premise is simple: without Theo van Gogh there would have been no Vincent van Gogh. A beautifully-written, accessible biography of the brothers, their lives, loves, and tumultuous relationships. The author employs considerable research in her look at the brothers' lives --including their fabled letters-- but like a true writer, this work is behind the scenes. Highly recommended for anyone interested in art, free-thinkers m and quality biography. ( )
  mjspear | Jun 11, 2018 |
A heartbreaking sad story of two brothers that had a great love for one another. They both had their own difficulties in life and both lives were ended way to soon. It is sad that neither of them got to see how powerful and famous Vincent's artwork would become. If they only could see today how Vincent's work has left his mark on the world. ( )
  jayurgal | Jun 2, 2018 |
Although the simplicity of the text bothered me, it was probably chosen on purpose to match Vincent van Gogh’s painting style. It’s well research and the reader finished knowing a great deal more about the deep friendship between Vincent and his brother, Theo. ( )
  brangwinn | Mar 27, 2018 |

From the author of National Book Award finalist Charles and Emma comes an incredible story of brotherly love.

The deep and enduring friendship between Vincent and Theo Van Gogh shaped both brothers' lives. Confidant, champion, sympathizer, friend―Theo supported Vincent as he struggled to find his path in life. They shared everything, swapping stories of lovers and friends, successes and disappointments, dreams and ambitions. Meticulously researched, drawing on the 658 letters Vincent wrote to Theo during his lifetime, Deborah Heiligman weaves a tale of two lives intertwined and the extraordinary love of the Van Gogh brothers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 06 Apr 2017 01:49:45 -0400)

"The true story of the relationship between brothers Theo and Vincent van Gogh"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,337,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible