Dead Souls by Angela Marsons

I finished Blood Lines just a couple of weeks before I got my hands on Dead Souls. And, I just couldn't wait to start reading the newest Kim Stone book. I have come to like Kim, Bryant, Stacey and Dawson quite a lot and I liked that Angela Marsons in this book went for a different approach by letting Kim work with her old partner Detective Travis in a joint investigation with West Mercia since the bones found are in a field that borders to the two police districts. And, they have a past, a dark past, and in Dead Souls we finally get the chance to get to know what really happened that left them so angry towards each other.

Meanwhile, Bryant and Dawson have to work together, alone for the first time and there is some friction between them, especially since they have different appearances and Dawson has a tendency to not think before he does something. This leaves Stacey free to pursue a case that has been closed, a young boy committed suicide but Stacey can't let it be.

I found the splitting of the team, the different cases an interesting new approach and I loved to see how the team under Kim showed that they can do things without her that they have learned enough to stand on their own legs (most of the time). I also liked seeing Kim back with Travis, because there were moments when they were almost back to how they once were. And, they really needed a heart to heart. I liked that in this book all the main characters had a central role, as much as the cases were interesting was it also nice to get to know Kim, Bryant, Stacey and Dawson a bit more.

Dead Souls is a thrilling new book. I found the storylines were all interesting and the book's theme of hate crimes is something that we are facing more and more nowadays in real life. The book can be read as a standalone, but I recommend starting from the beginning with Silent Scream.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Dead Souls is book 6 in Angela Marsons D.I. Kim Stone series. Each book in the series is stand alone with crimes solved by the end of the novel but to get a real understanding and feel for the character of Kim Stone I would recommend reading the series from the beginning with “Silent Scream”.

Multiple storylines run through the novel with one taking Kim away from her team to work with D.I. Travis, a previous working partner with whom she has unresolved issues. This gives the story a lighter side as the two bicker and sulk their way through the case.

With a main theme of racism running through the novel the tension and fear are tangible. The pace is fast and the small break between the different storylines worked well for me in keeping the events all together.

Angela Marsons has cemented herself a spot on the must read shelf for me.

With thanks to Bookouture via Netgalley for my ERC to read and review. ( )
  Ronnie293 | Oct 27, 2017 |
Kim is paired with a former colleague (now enemy) to look into the case of human remains found in a farm field on the boundary of their two force areas. This unlikely doubling up of two DIs running round together leaves Kim's usual team (two DS's and a DC) on their own looking into a series of hate crimes.

For the first two-thirds of this novel, I was ready to give it five stars; the plot moved along at a fast pace, with many little cliff-hangers at the end of chapters as we switched between the storylines. (Perhaps some of the chapters were a little too short and the constant switching a little wearing after a while, but whatever).

However, the ending was a disappointment to me. Maybe I am being naive, but the explanation for what was doing on seemed excessively gruesome and extremely unlikely. I also started skimming a little, partly because "action" really isn't my thing and partly because I wanted the action over so the mop up and holding to account could begin. The appearance of Tracy Frost didn't really add anything and the chapters from Jacob's perspective were so grim that I skipped most of them.

I liked Doctor A, although the quality of her English seemed highly variable. ( )
  pgchuis | Oct 9, 2017 |
This was my first Angela Marsons. She has such great reviews and I have to say, the beginning of the book was not at all as I expected. However, the story rushes along at a great pace and I began to really like DCI Kim Stone. There are lots of strands to the plot, a great dynamic within the police team and animosity between Kim and her colleague Travis - all great stuff. Four stars for entertainment, a cracking plot and some wonderful one-liners. ( )
  AnnGirdharry | Aug 21, 2017 |
Hate crimes + sadistic people = a harrowing read. Kim Stone's latest case takes her away from her usual team, temporarily joining a neighbouring force to work with a former colleague. Meanwhile back at base the others have to pretty much do their own thing - not a good idea! There are quite a few horrible people with nasty, vile viewpoints in this story which doesn't make pleasant reading. For me this book took a while for everything to gel, but then the tension mounts as the pieces start falling into place and naturally it's a race against time to prevent the conclusion the perps want. Yes it was a slow burner but once the flame was lit it was whoosh - stand back! Another amazing thriller from this author, not to be missed. ( )
  boudicca123 | Jun 29, 2017 |
This book is dedicated to my partner Julie Forrest who holds my hand every single day.

And one day you will come to understand how invaluable you are in this process.
Justin looked down at the blade as it hovered above his wrist.

"The truth was dead and buried ... until now. When a collection of human bones is unearthed during a routine archaeological dig, a Black Country field suddenly becomes a complex crime scene for Detective Kim Stone. As the bones are sorted, it becomes clear that the grave contains more than one victim. The bodies hint at unimaginable horror, bearing the markings of bullet holes and animal traps. Forced to work alongside Detective Travis, with whom she shares a troubled past, Kim begins to uncover a dark secretive relationship between the families who own the land in which the bodies were found. But while Kim is immersed in one of the most complicated investigations she's ever led, her team are caught up in a spate of sickening hate crimes. Kim is close to revealing the truth behind the murders, yet soon finds one of her own is in jeopardy - and the clock is ticking. Can she solve the case and save them from grave danger - before it's too late? "--Publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,044,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible