Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Airborn by Kenneth Oppel

Airborn (2004)

by Kenneth Oppel

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (Maid_Marian)
    His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another interesting and well written historical fantasy.
    Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (jseger9000)
    The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pène du Bois (kaledrina)
    The Airship "Golden Hind" by Percy F. Westerman (rakerman)
    rakerman: Although written 84 years apart with all of the style and culture differences that brings, The Airship 'Golden Hind' and Airborn share similar themes of adventures aboard dirigibles.
    The Boundless by Kenneth Oppel (rakerman)
    rakerman: The Boundless and Skybreaker share similar tone and themes - in one a gigantic airship, in the other an incredibly long train with large cars. A boy who likes a girl. Both good retro adventure tales.
    Kaimira: The Sky Village: Book One by Monk Ashland (tardis)
    The Warlord of the Air by Michael Moorcock (Z-Ryan)
    The War in the Air by H. G. Wells (Z-Ryan)
    Worldshaker by Richard Harland (Maid_Marian)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Enyonam)

The 2006 Full Cast Audio production is a thrilling listen! ( )
  Lisa_Francine | Jun 15, 2019 |
Adventure novels in the tradition of Treasure Island and Jules Verne, but with a modern sense of storytelling. These take place in a world where airplanes were never invented, and dirigible airships rule the skies. Grades 6th-8th. Again, my son Haley ate these up. Rick Riordan
  TKMartinez | Oct 8, 2018 |
Entertaining, YA full cast audio book, adventure, steampunk, alternate history, steampunk, pirates and strange creatures. I found the willful, rich girl to be a bit annoying but overall, mostly this is a fun to read book that I can fully recommend. There are about 3 kisses in the book, so a bit of romance but mostly a boys adventure book. ( )
  Kristelh | Oct 4, 2018 |
Pirates! Shipwrecks! Zeppelins1 Rescues! Volcanoes and jungles! A mysterious notebook! Discovery of an amazing new species! Willful young woman who needs rescuing (and perhaps a kiss or two)! This is a straight up fast paced boys adventure novel, with no apologies or attempts to be anything else, and it does it well. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
Note: This review is of the Full Cast Audio production, which includes voice actors for each part.
In this slightly steampunkish 18th century world, people travel by airship. Matt Cruse is a cabin boy on the Aurora, an airship crossing the Pacificus. He lives for flying and never feels at home on the ground. While in the crow’s nest, he spots a damaged hot air balloon. The man aboard dies shortly after being rescued, but not before talking about the beautiful creatures he spotted on his journey. A year later, the Aurora takes on a couple of late passengers, Kate de Vries and Majorie Simpkins. Kate is 15, just like Matt and they quickly start up a friendship, in which she entrusts him with her grandfather’s story of beautiful flying creatures over the Pacificus. After an attack by pirates and a terrible storm, the Aurora lands on an uncharted island. Can the crew repair her? Are they safe there from inhabitants and pirates? What really lives on this mysterious island?
The story is fast-paced, with plenty of action. Despite the pace, I often found myself bored with the story. The Narrator grated on my nerves a bit, but I think that had more to do with the voice actor than the actual book. I feel like I would have enjoyed it far more had I read it rather than listened to it. Nonetheless, there were moments where I tensed up in anticipation of something about to happen, or laughed out loud at something funny a character said. I think this book would appeal especially to middle-grade kids looking for an exciting adventure story. ( )
  Jessiqa | May 17, 2018 |
For Philippa, Sophia, and Nate

This is a great adventure story! It's like a combination of Indiana Jones and the Swiss Family Robinson

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060531827, Mass Market Paperback)

Sailing toward dawn, and I was perched atop the crow's nest, being the ship's eyes. We were two nights out of Sydney, and there'd been no weather to speak of so far. I was keeping watch on a dark stack of nimbus clouds off to the northwest, but we were leaving it far behind, and it looked to be smooth going all the way back to Lionsgate City. Like riding a cloud. . . .

Matt Cruse is a cabin boy on the Aurora, a huge airship that sails hundreds of feet above the ocean, ferrying wealthy passengers from city to city. It is the life Matt's always wanted; convinced he's lighter than air, he imagines himself as buoyant as the hydrium gas that powers his ship. One night he meets a dying balloonist who speaks of beautiful creatures drifting through the skies. It is only after Matt meets the balloonist's granddaughter that he realizes that the man's ravings may, in fact, have been true, and that the creatures are completely real and utterly mysterious.

In a swashbuckling adventure reminiscent of Jules Verne and Robert Louis Stevenson, Kenneth Oppel, author of the best-selling Silverwing trilogy, creates an imagined world in which the air is populated by transcontinental voyagers, pirates, and beings never before dreamed of by the humans who sail the skies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:07 -0400)

Matt, a young cabin boy aboard an airship, and Kate, a wealthy young girl traveling with her chaperone, team up to search for the existence of mysterious winged creatures reportedly living hundreds of feet above the Earth's surface.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,494,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible