Code Orange by Caroline B. Cooney

Code Orange (2005)

by Caroline B. Cooney

I like young adult books like this one. We have a well-defined character caught up in a straightforward, linear-progressing, problem. The story moves along well and is the kind that is not easily put down. I don't know that I particularly liked the ending, but there really wasn't any other direction to go with this one. Good book for teens in need of a summer read! ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
Mitt is a loveable slacker who only cares about his advanced biology research paper because of his crush on the studious Olivia. Mitt is concerned he has been infected with smallpox after handling scabs left behind in a turn of the century medical book. His fear leads him to make some less than thoughtful e-mails, which make him a target of terrorists hoping he has the virus and that they could use it as a weapon. The plot is far fetched and some characters fall a little flat, but over all this novel is acceptable for a suspenseful thriller. Cooney's author's note and bibliography show that she did exemplary research, which is admirable. This book is a reasonable addition to large collections or collections with Cooney fans, but is not necessary. ( )
  MissyAnn | Dec 13, 2014 |
While conducting research for a school paper on smallpox, Mitty finds an envelope containing 100-year-old smallpox scabs and fears that he has infected himself and all of New York City.
  KilmerMSLibrary | Apr 29, 2013 |
I read this, didn't I? Gosh, I did. I think. I'm so confused.
  lafon | Mar 31, 2013 |
I was so taken in with this one. It instantly grabs your attention and teaches you more than you would ever want to know about small pox! Excellent recommendation for 7th grade and up. ( )
  hoganedix | Nov 28, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385732600, Mass Market Paperback)

Walking around New York City was what Mitty Blake did best. He loved the city, and even after 9/11, he always felt safe. Mitty was a carefree guy–he didn’t worry about terrorists or blackouts or grades or anything, which is why he was late getting started on his Advanced Bio report.
Mitty does feel a little pressure to hand something in–if he doesn’t, he’ll be switched out of Advanced Bio, which would be unfortunate since Olivia’s in Advanced Bio. So he considers it good luck when he finds some old medical books in his family’s weekend house that focus on something he could write about. But when he discovers an old envelope with two scabs in one of the books, the report is no longer about the grade–it’s about life and death. His own.
This edge-of-your-seat thriller will leave you breathless.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 695 books! | Top bar: Always visible