A Good School (Vintage Classic) by Richard…

A Good School (Vintage Classic) (original 1978; edition 2007)

by Richard Yates

Member:sisterdew
Title:A Good School (Vintage Classic)
Authors:Richard Yates
Info:Vintage Classics (2007), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:*****

A Good School: A Novel by Richard Yates (1978)

To begin with, I thought this was really bad. Am I the only person who likes books less the more I learn how autobiographical they are? I hope and assume not. But at the end of the day, it wasn't so terrible. It's an ensemble novel really, although Grove might be more central than other characters. But only a bit. Not much in the way of story, but an amusing collection of anecdotes to do with some interesting characters. Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours, but nothing more. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
When I reviewed Richard Yates' novel Revolutionary Road I wrote that it was "a perfectly-written book" and "a modern classic in the true sense of the word." In his novel A Good School, published seventeen years later, I found a classic of a different sort in that I believe in this later work he captured a certain spirit of place and time perfectly. Even though the book did not seem to me as being perfect in writing style, the economy of Yates' prose still impressed me. Even more striking was his ability to convey the feeling of a certain time in the lives of a few representative boys while, at the same time, creating a pervasive feeling of an historic setting and place. The description of the school made clear it was unique among the prep schools of New England and that the small select group of boys that called it their home were just as unique in their own way. The awkward and nervous boy who becomes editor of the school newspaper is just one example of the different students that shared their school years at this good, if not unflawed, school. The awakening of character and the changes in the boys lives seemed to lead inexorably to an ending that made this novel and the titular school memorable.
Yates used vignettes about the boys' social interactions, some of which seem mundane, but which cumulatively demonstrate the growth and change in their young lives. The drama of the real world with World War II always in the shadows is always impinging on the action and sometimes bursts in to interrupt. Thus the small world of the Dorset School seems to be sheltered from the world without until events of the world around it overwhelm the adolescent angst within it.
The result of reading this novel is to remind me that I must read more of Yates oeuvre as the experience is exhilarating. ( )
  jwhenderson | Mar 25, 2012 |
Typical Yates: largely autobiographical, problems of poor boy in rich-boy milieu, ending is vintage Yates--school closes, nobody really happy, but this time narrator has fond memories. Again vintage: troubled adult and marital relations... sincerity vs. insincerity. Top writing--plain, simple but thoughtful. ( )
  raflynn | Jul 26, 2007 |
Můj otec zamlada studoval zpěv v severní části státu New York, chtěl se stát koncertním tenorem.
Nakonec zjistíš, že na světě není většího potěšení než rozesmát nějaké děvče. Mimo sexu samotného, ovšem. (s. 91)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312420390, Paperback)

Richard Yates, who died in 1992, is today ranked by many readers, scholars, and critics alongside such titans of modern American ficiton as Updike, Roth, Irving, Vonnegut, and Mailer.

In this work, he offers a spare and autumnal novel about a New England prep school. At once a meditation on the twilight of youth and an examination of America's entry into World War II, A Good School tells the stories of William Grove, the quiet boy who becomes an editor of the school newspaper; Jack Draper, a crippled chemistry teacher; and Edith Stone, the schoolmaster's young daughter, who falls in love with most celebrated boy in the class of 1943.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:56 -0400)

Set in a small boarding school on the eve of America's entry into World War II, this book tells the stories of William Grove, the nervous teenager trying to fit in; the betrayed alcoholic, Jack Draper; and Edith Stone, the teacher's daughter, who falls in love with the most popular boy in school.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible