Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell

Then She Was Gone (2018)

by Lisa Jewell

A teenager is kidnapped by her tutor (female) to have a baby so the tutor can win over her lover for good. Of course, it is not that simple. You go back and forth from the present time line to past experiences and why things get so out of hand. Only one question. How did she impregnate the teenager?? Turkey baster??? Just skipped over that party. Reminded me of Indian Jones and how he just escapes and he shoudln't ( )
  joannemonck | Mar 18, 2019 |
Well that had a lot going on, a daughter who goes missing and years later we meet a man who has a daughter that looks and acts like the one that was lost 10 years ago. Yep, lots of stuff. ( )
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |
This suspense novel has an interesting premise, and the characters are all well defined. Readers can feel the family's pain when Ellie goes missing without a clue, although maybe in retrospect the clues are there. There are perhaps too many coincidences to make it believable, and I'm still puzzled by the biological aspect of the pregnancy. All in all, a quick read. ( )
  pdebolt | Feb 21, 2019 |
This was a well plotted story that revealed the pieces a little at a time. The villain was well drawn and what she does is so senseless and coldly cruel. There was some question of who all was involved in the crime, but in the end there was resolution for Ellie's family. I liked that there was reconciliation for her parents as well. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Feb 19, 2019 |
I think I would have liked it better if I had read it instead of listening to the audio version. Good story but a little predictable to me. ( )
  loracarlson | Feb 18, 2019 |

"Ten years after her teenage daughter disappears, a woman crosses paths with a charming single father whose young child feels eerily familiar, in this evocative, suspenseful drama from New York Times bestselling author Lisa Jewell--perfect for fans of Paula Hawkins and Liane Moriarty. Ellie Mack was the perfect daughter. She was fifteen, the youngest of three. She was beloved by her parents, friends, and teachers. She and her boyfriend made a teenaged golden couple. She was days away from an idyllic post-exams summer vacation, with her whole life ahead of her. And then she was gone. Now, her mother Laurel Mack is trying to put her life back together. It's been ten years since her daughter disappeared, seven years since her marriage ended, and only months since the last clue in Ellie's case was unearthed. So when she meets an unexpectedly charming man in a cafe, no one is more surprised than Laurel at how quickly their flirtation develops into something deeper. Before she knows it, she's meeting Floyd's daughters--and his youngest, Poppy, takes Laurel's breath away. Because looking at Poppy is like looking at Ellie. And now, the unanswered questions she's tried so hard to put to rest begin to haunt Laurel anew. Where did Ellie go? Did she really run away from home, as the police have long suspected, or was there a more sinister reason for her disappearance? Who is Floyd, really? And why does his daughter remind Laurel so viscerally of her own missing girl?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,556,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible