Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan

Manhattan Beach

by Jennifer Egan

199859,063 (4.08)23

I absolutely loved reading this book and sharing Anna Kerrigan's life journey. A story that was set in pre-war and during World War II. It dealt with so many topics that were current at that time. Men leaving their families because they couldn't handle the fact they could not provide for them was just one. It also dealt with women doing men's jobs and the harassment that those women dealt with on a daily basis.

I really felt like I was living in that era while reading this book. The author did such a great job in so aspects with this book.

A coming of age story that, for me, was excellent, unputdownable and one that I will surely think back to 2017 and consider it one of the best reads that year.

Now, I am certainly driven to read her first major prize winning book "A Visit From the Goon Squad" a copy of which I have, but have never done so.

Thanks to Scribner and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Oct 18, 2017 |
Review to follow. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Oct 14, 2017 |
This historical fiction novel, both a family drama and a mystery, begins in Brooklyn in 1934 during the Great Depression. Anna Kerrigan, almost 12 years old, regularly accompanies her father Eddie on the job he has held ever since all their money was lost in the stock market. Now he serves as a “Bagman”, or as Anna understood it: “Her father’s job was to pass greetings, or good wishes, between union men and other men who were their friends. These salutations included an envelope, sometimes a package, that he would deliver or receive casually - you wouldn’t notice unless you were paying attention.”

Eddie hated his job, and homelife offered no sanctuary for him. He had another daughter, Lydia, who was physically lovely, but brain-damaged. Lydia and her special needs, as well as the juxtaposition in her (as he saw it) of outward beauty with total disability, educed in Eddie both rage and self-loathing, leaving him numb and spent. “She was not as she should be, not remotely, and the ghost of what she should have been clung to her always, a reproachful twin.”

Only in Anna’s company could he relax and feel good about his life: “She was his secret treasure, his one pure, unspoiled source of joy.” He felt about her that she "pumped life into him as surely as Lydia drained it.” He loved her voice, the pattering quality of it, and the feel of her small hand inside his.

When Lydia's doctor recommended that she have an expensive special chair to help her sit upright, Eddie needed more money, and went to work for Dexter Styles, a powerful member of local organized crime who managed a number of clubs offering the opportunity for illegal pastimes. Even at the upper levels of crime, however, there was a hierarchy. While there were many people in Dexter’s own pocket, he himself was controlled by a Mr. Q., who basically owned him. As long as Dexter played by the rules, he was rewarded. But like Eddie, Dexter constantly has to be aware of his place and modulate his behavior accordingly. Eddie unexpectedly gave Dexter a taste of escape from the limitations put on him.

Eddie worked for Styles as his ombudsman, checking up on Dexter's employees and later on his rivals. In a clever description of Eddie's appeal to Dexter, Egan writes:

“Kerrigan’s cipherlike nature had been essential to the job. He could go anywhere, find out anything. Through him, Dexter had tasted an otherworldly freedom from the constraints of time and space.”

Unfortunately though, Eddie could not take Anna along on his forays to nightclubs and gambling dens, and they grew apart, to Eddie’s infinite regret.

The story shifts, and picks up again when Anna is 19. Her father had disappeared five years before. They never knew what happened to him. She felt sorrow at first, replaced by anger.

The country is now at war, and Anna works at the Brooklyn Naval Yard, where, because of the shortage of men, women are allowed to hold jobs that had always excluded them. Through perseverance and grit, she becomes the first female diver, “the most dangerous and exclusive of occupations,” helping to repair huge ships in the Manhattan harbor.

One night while out with a girlfriend, she ran into Dexter Styles at one of his clubs. He didn't recognize her, so she used a false name with him, “Anna Feeney" (taking a neighbor’s last name). But she realizes he may know what happened to her father, and she continues to seek him out to get the mystery solved once and for all.

Discussion: There is some beautifully-phrased and deftly-constructed prose in this book. For example, when diving, Anna thinks:

“The ship felt alert, alive. It exuded a hum that traveled through her fingers up her arm: the vibration of thousands of souls teeming within. Like a skyscraper turned on its side.”

Or Anna, walking alone on the streets of New York:

“After years of distance, Anna’s father returned to her. She couldn’t see him, but she felt the knotty pain of his hands in her armpits as he slung her off the ground to carry her. She heard the muffled jingle of coins in his trouser pockets. His hand was a socket she affixed hers to always, wherever they went, even when she didn’t care to. Anna stopped walking, stunned by the power of these impressions. Without thinking, she lifted her fingers to her face, half expecting the warm, bitter smell of his tobacco.”

And there is this insight by and about Dexter, who is musing about the difficulty of working with women:

“… this was the problem of men and women, what made the professional harmony he envisaged so difficult to achieve. Men ran the world, and they wanted to fuck the women. Men said “Girls are weak” when in fact girls made them weak.”

And perhaps my favorite image, when the author describes Dexter Style’s house near the ocean:

“…a rowdy flapping of green-and-yellow striped awnings.”

Evaluation: Egan, who is the author of five books of fiction, including A Visit from the Good Squad, which won the Pulitzer Prize and National Books Critics Circle Award, takes on four big motifs with this book, any one of which could have made up a separate book: the dynamics of a family stressed by economic hardship and the birth of a disabled child; the nature of organized crime; the clash of gender and ethnicity in the 1940s; and life in the Merchant Marines, which serves as an auxiliary to the Navy during times of war.

For the most part, I think the author gives adequate treatment to all of these themes except perhaps for the organized crime aspect of the book; some of what happened to the characters because of their associations with this element remained opaque (to me) at the end of the story.

Nevertheless, this is a stirring and poignant story filled with memorable characters drawn with perceptive contours. The author’s research was extensive, and I think she adroitly captures a slice of life in wartime America. In addition, the issues raised and complexity of the story make this book an excellent choice for book clubs. ( )
1 vote nbmars | Oct 11, 2017 |
I hadn't read much about this novel before I picked it up, so it was a lovely surprise to find that Egan has jumped from contemporary to prohibition and wartime US and does it so well. I was absorbed in her account of a young family struggling with the Depression, and trying to work out how to make their way through. Writing from the perspective of a father and daughter, the characters are charming as well as spiky. Much of the charm of the book for me was in the unexpected twists and turns, but one of the strengths of the book for me was how the family dealt with disability in very different ways. Egan's description reminded me of a family I visited many years ago, the way love just radiated between my school friend and her sister ( )
  charl08 | Oct 9, 2017 |
Manhattan Beach is a book I was eager to read because I have loved other books by Jennifer Egan. While reading, though, I was not eager to finish. I wanted to stay in the world Egan created, with these characters I came to love.

Manhattan Beach is a historical novel that tells the story of Anna, a young woman who works at a naval yard during World War II with a fierce determination to be a professional diver. It is also the story of her father, Eddie, a man who seeks out opportunities on the edges of organized crime to do work that is more or less legal and Dexter Styles the quasi-legit gangster he works for. But this is not a story about organized crime.

I was about halfway through the book when I realized I had no idea where the story was going to go. What could be more exhilarating? That is the kind of book this is. It just tells a story. It’s not a mystery, not a romance, not a war story, not a family saga, not a coming-of-age story, but it also all of that.

I loved Manhattan Beach. Egan has this languid approach to writing – even though the story is full of action and excitement – that is so immersive. Reading her books is kind of like donning one of those diving dresses and submerging in this other world where everything else disappears. I almost think if she wrote a book about polar exploration or living on the frigid Mongolian steppes, people without air conditioners could read it during the dog days of summer and find relief from the heat. That is the kind of way she makes the world fall away while you read.

I love Egan’s use of language, the “arachnid appetite of the IRS” instilling fears in gangsters, the male genitalia reminding Anna of two shoes hung over a pole, memories brushing against you like a cat. Her language is alive and fresh in ways that made me stop and savor, saying the sentences out loud. And this is why I knew even before I read the first sentence, why I was eager to read this book, Egan spins a magical story that grabs on and makes you hope will never let go.

I received an e-galley from the publisher of Manhattan Beach through NetGalley.

https://tonstantweaderreviews.wordpress.com/2017/10/03/9781476716732/ ( )
  Tonstant.Weader | Oct 4, 2017 |

Anna Kerrigan, nearly twelve years old, accompanies her father to visit Dexter Styles, a man who, she gleans, is crucial to the survival of her father and her family. She is mesmerized by the sea beyond the house and by some charged mystery between the two men.

‎Years later, her father has disappeared and the country is at war. Anna works at the Brooklyn Naval Yard, where women are allowed to hold jobs that once belonged to men, now soldiers abroad. She becomes the first female diver, the most dangerous and exclusive of occupations, repairing the ships that will help America win the war. One evening at a nightclub, she meets Dexter Styles again, and begins to understand the complexity of her father’s life, the reasons he might have vanished.

With the atmosphere of a noir thriller, Egan’s first historical novel follows Anna and Styles into a world populated by gangsters, sailors, divers, bankers, and union men. Manhattan Beach is a deft, dazzling, propulsive exploration of a transformative moment in the lives and identities of women and men, of America and the world. It is a magnificent novel by the author of A Visit from the Goon Squad, one of the great writers of our time. Amazon

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,658,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible