Reincarnation Blues: A Novel by Michael…

Reincarnation Blues: A Novel

by Michael Poore

Ah Yes - Reincarnation Blues. Its about a man who loves death, and instead of becoming perfect, only wants to spend time with his love, whom he can only be with when between reincarnations.

The book is well written. It has a strong moral aspect to it, but doesn't beat you over the head. The main character, Milo, is warm, funny, tragic, and a sort of "every man" type character. His flaws are our flaws.

Susie (AKA death)is bit different. She wants something out of her life, but doesn't know what. She loves Milo, but wants something else.

This mix of fantasy and science fiction set in a book that uses reincarnation to move the story along with different consecutive lives being in the past, as well as in the future. It can feel a bit disjointed, but its okay. The lives Milo lives are heartbreaking - he has a limited time to become perfect before he becomes nothing, so each life he lives becomes more heart breaking.

Over all, a great book with an interesting premise that manages to hit the sweet spot of books - interesting character, interesting plot, and with a morality that is part of the story, not tacked on. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Aug 4, 2018 |
I LOVE THIS BOOK! If Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams had a baby and then let Toni Morrison raise it, it would be this book. Terrible deaths, fantastic deaths, good lives, not-so-good lives, humor and heart. Fun and thought-provoking. And who doesn't love Death falling in love?

(A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher.) ( )
  ouroborosangel | May 22, 2018 |
I loved Reincarnation Blues. It’s superb! Building on themes used in his earlier novel, Up Jumps the Devil (also worth a read), Michael Poore’s gigantic love story spans time, space, and the metaphysical. It’s a huge story, funny, moving, and at times, incredibly poignant. Reincarnation Blues has an ambitious premise, and I think Michael Poore absolutely nails it! Recommended. ( )
  Stewart_Hoffman | Apr 11, 2018 |
I received an arc from Penguin in exchange for a review.

I loved this book. Comparing an author to Douglas Adams & Neil Gaiman? Those are tremendous shoes to fill. Poore did that easily and still set himself apart. When this book began Milo has lived thousands of lives. He enjoys being the wise man, old soul, until he learns it can't continue forever. Milo must achieve perfection before his 10,000th life or "your soul can be cancelled like a dumb TV show". There are so many interesting tales here, if you don't enjoy one, read on, it will change shortly. This book is poignant and witty. I hope I can read something as wonderful as this in all my lives. ( )
  staceyfronczak | Apr 3, 2018 |
This was an interesting concept. I do believe in reincarnation and it was interesting to see the different lives of Milo. I think it would be interesting if we could remember a little bit of our past lives. I know they say if something seems familiar it's probably from one of your past lives. Milo finds out he has 10,000 lives to try to reach perfection. If he doesn't then he will be sent off to nothing. Some lives he is nowhere near perfect and spends time as a bug for punishment. Other times he is very close. I thought the different lives were an interesting take on what has happened over the centuries. There were a few lives in the far future. All in all, this was an enjoyable book. Really makes you think. ( )
  MHanover10 | Feb 4, 2018 |

Reincarnation Blues is more than a great love story: Every journey from cradle to grave offers Milo more pieces of the great cosmic puzzle--if only he can piece them together in time to finally understand what it means to be part of something bigger than infinity. As darkly enchanting as the works of Neil Gaiman and as wisely hilarious as Kurt Vonnegut's, Michael Poore's Reincarnation Blues is the story of everything that makes life profound, beautiful, absurd, and heartbreaking. -- Amazon.com… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,971,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible