The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful…

The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science (edition 2007)

by Natalie Angier

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:science

The Canon by Natalie Angier

English (41)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (43)
A succinct tour of the foundational (key) concepts /theories in the sciences: Scientific Thinking /Method; Probability; Calibration / Scale; Physics; Chemistry; Evolutionary Biology; Molecular Biology; Geology & Astronomy. Angier impresses with her grasp of scientific subjects and her ability to communicate these through both exposition and analogy. Most of the concepts will not be new to interested readers of science books for non-scientists. Writing for a lay audience means utilizing language rather than math to communicate complex ideas. In fact, of course, some science isn't translatable into words. As one scientist interviewed by the author admits, what can be perfectly comprehensible to him mathematically (the age & size of the universe, for example) may still be incomprehensibly mind-boggling personally. My one quibble with Angier, as a writer, is that her use of analogy, which is quite helpful at times, veers too often to the overly glib. She often piles up the wise-cracks, which in the end distract from, rather than serve her purposes. Humor and felicitous analogy aid mightily in any presentation of scientific topics to non-scientists. However, there is a point at which such tools turn into tricks, where a folksy approach becomes too smart alecky for its own good. ( )
  Paulagraph | May 25, 2014 |
A series of essays outlining what each lay person should know about Math, Physics, Biology, Geology, and Astronomy. Many are very basic, for me anyway, except the Biology one, which I guess I still don't understand very well. I enjoyed it. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
Even if you are educated a in a science, typically you will know one branch of one field in depth and only be familiar with the rest. This book, written for the interested general public, will give you a conceptual introduction to the methods and principles of science in general as well as more in-depth coverage of chemistry, biology, math, physics, geology and astronomy. Fascinating, well written, and educational too! ( )
  ehousewright | Jul 11, 2013 |
Hilarious, wondrous and delightful tour of the sciences. I'm of the considered opinion that this book should replace every single basic intro to science text at the high school & even college level. Angier hits the high points in a genuinely enlightening fashion, and brings humor to marble halls where laughter hasn't rung out in a very long time. Highly recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
My comments are based on the audio book. I really enjoyed Angiers' "Woman" and looked forward to this one. Sigh, 5 D's in I HAVE to stop. Other's have commented about the excessive wit, and indeed, I can't handle it. Maybe in text format I could find it amusing, or skim as needed. However, the book as narrated by a relatively high-pitched female voice, is too irritating for me to continue. I do believe I will get the Kindle version of this for travel reading, the lay person approach to scientific copies will certainly educate me. One other comment, the introduction went on so long I could hardle stand it and almost quit there. With all the excessive text in the intro, I think it might have been helpful if she would have defined "canon". ( )
  zoomball | Feb 24, 2013 |

Natalie Angierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Overholtzer, RobertDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rick, my one in 6.5 x 10 to the 9th
When the second of her two children turned thirteen, my sister decided that it finally was time to let their membership lapse in two familiar family haunts: the science museum and the zoo.

From the Pulitzer Prize winner and best-selling author of Woman, a playful, passionate guide to the science all around us

With the singular intelligence and exuberance that made Woman an international sensation, Natalie Angier takes us on a whirligig tour of the scientific canon. She draws on conversations with hundreds of the world's top scientists and on her own work as a Pulitzer Prize-winning writer for the New York Times to create a thoroughly entertaining guide to scientific literacy. Angier's gifts are on full display in The Canon, an ebullient celebration of science that stands to become a classic.

The Canon is vital reading for anyone who wants to understand the great issues of our time -- from stem cells and bird flu to evolution and global warming. And it's for every parent who has ever panicked when a child asked how the earth was formed or what electricity is. Angier's sparkling prose and memorable metaphors bring the science to life, reigniting our own childhood delight in discovering how the world works. "Of course you should know about science," writes Angier, "for the same reason Dr. Seuss counsels his readers to sing with a Ying or play Ring the Gack: These things are fun and fun is good."

The Canon is a joyride through the major scientific disciplines: physics, chemistry, biology, geology, and astronomy. Along the way, we learn what is actually happening when our ice cream melts or our coffee gets cold, what our liver cells do when we eat a caramel, why the horse is an example of evolution at work, and how we're all really made of stardust. It's Lewis Carroll meets Lewis Thomas -- a book that will enrapture, inspire, and enlighten.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:18 -0400)

Award-winning science journalist Angier takes us on a "guided twirligig through the scientific canon." She draws on conversations with hundreds of the world's top scientists, and her own work as a reporter for the New York Times, to create an entertaining guide to scientific literacy--a joyride through the major scientific disciplines: physics, chemistry, biology, geology, and astronomy. It's for anyone who wants to understand the great issues of our time--from stem cells and bird flu to evolution and global warming. It's also one of those rare books that reignites our childhood delight in figuring out how things work: we learn what's actually happening when our ice cream melts or our coffee gets cold, what our liver cells do when we eat a caramel, how the horse shows evolution at work, and that we really are all made of stardust.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible