The Book with no Name: A Novel (Probably) by…

The Book with no Name: A Novel (Probably) (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Anonymous

454None22,910 (3.68)27
Member:celerydog
Title:The Book with no Name: A Novel (Probably)
Authors:Anonymous
Info:Michael O' Mara Books (2009), Kindle Edition, 385 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:read in 2012, read in Jeddah, urban fantasy, western, supernatural

The Book With No Name: A Novel (Probably) by Anonymous (2007)

English (20)  German (4)  French (4)  All languages (28)
bloody, gory, dark humour among a pile of bodies.. author is a definite fan of Tarantino, but that's no bad thing ( )
  max-rush | Mar 30, 2014 |
Tarantino would love it. ( )
  Nathaniel.Burns | Oct 28, 2013 |
This book is an adult book about a town called Santa Mondega, vampires, monks, an Elvis impersonating hitman, and a serial killer called the Bourbon Kid.

The plot was amazing in this novel! I think that the depth of the mystery in this book and the gore, contrasted with humourous dialogue and situations. Just the synopsis on the back of the book made me buy this and I toally understand why it is a number 1 international best seller. The plot was helped by the characters and writing and everything tied together really well.

The characters in this are not as well developed as they would be in other novels but I think that it was not needed because reading it, I was still interested in all of them in different ways. The chapters switch focus to different characters throughout the novel and I think that this shift in focus helps the reader get a better image of what is going on and helps you to try to figure out the mystery on your own as well as reading it unfold.

The writing definitely makes this an adult book rather than a young adult. The language used and the amount of gory details that are provided make this a very visual read and some parts would definitely not be suitable for younger readers. The short chapters made this book very fast paced, as did the changing perspectives. The writing propelled the story along at a good pace and the cliffhanger chapter endings made me want to just keep reading.

Overall I would definitely give this book 5 out of 5 stars and would recommend it to any adult reader who is a fan of a good murder mystery. I finished this in 2 days and found myself not wanting to put this book down. ( )
  charlottejones952 | Sep 2, 2013 |
Imagine a story about gangsters, Kung-Fu Monks, an Elvis-impersonating bounty hunter, and swarms of vampires all living in a world that is a cross between The Lost Boys and From Dusk Til Dawn (and not a Twilight reference in sight)! Do I really need to say anything else to get you excited?!

Ok, I suppose I better had otherwise it would be a pretty pointless review...!

To read the rest of my review please visit my blog: http://stevenscaffardi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/steves-book-reviews-book-with-no-n... ( )
  StevenScaffardi | Jun 8, 2013 |
I didn't really expect it to be good. But I thought it would readable and maybe kind of fun. It was terrible. ( )
  CassieLM | Apr 2, 2013 |
Sanchez hated strangers coming into his bar.

Detective Miles Jensen is called to the lawless town of Santa Mondega to investigate a spate of murders. This would all be quite ordinary in those rough streets, except that Jensen is the Chief Detective of Supernatural Investigations. The breakneck plot centers around a mysterious blue stone—The Eye of the Moon—and the men and women who all want to get their hands on it: a mass murderer with a drinking problem, a hit man who thinks he's Elvis, and a pair of monks among them. Add in the local crime baron, an amnesiac woman who's just emerged from a five-year coma, a gypsy fortune teller, and a hapless hotel porter, and the plot thickens fast. Most importantly, how do all these people come to be linked to the strange book with no name? This is the anonymous, ancient book that no one seems to have survived reading. Everyone who has ever read it has been murdered. What can this mean?

For many centuries the shelves of a library in South America held a terrible secret. Sitting on these shelves was a book with no name, written by an anonymous author. Everyone who ever read it ended up dead, yet the book always found its way back to the library. In 2005 a special government investigator uncovered the truth about the book and its link to the murders.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible