The Durrels of Corfu by Michael Haag

The Durrels of Corfu (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Michael Haag

Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Durrels of Corfu
Authors:Michael Haag
Info:
Rating:***

The Durrells of Corfu by Michael Haag (2017)

I've read most if not all of Gerald books, and seen the TV series. It was interesting to hear the real story, as close as you could get, which is different to what Gerald says in his books. However as all involved seem to be unreliable, we may never know the real truth. Still, they had an eventful life, which is worth reading about. ( )
  paulmorriss | Dec 30, 2017 |
As a child I loved Gerald Durrell's books, I even remember being thrown out of class for laughing uncontrollably while reading one of them for an assignment. His Corfu trilogy are among my favourites, the wonder and humour of his unusual upbringing and lyrical descriptions of Corfu have remained with me forever, and I know plenty of other people feel the same way. So I am surprised it taken this long for someone to write a true life account of the Durrells' life on Corfu. It turns out Durrell heavily redacted the true story to emphasize the oddness of his family and the eccentricities of the Corfiots. For instance, the fact that Larry was married and lived with his wife for their whole time on Corfu was never mentioned by Gerald, she appear nowhere in the trilogy. Also his the circumstances of his first meeting with key characters, including Theodore and Konti the convict were changed to make them seem more eccentric. While it won't detract from the enjoyment of the trilogy, knowledge like this will certainly colour people's future reactions to the books. What the book does capture unchanged is the beauty of Corfu, the wonderful characters and their lives, and a picture of a truly happy, sun-blessed childhood. An epilogue which details the stories of all the Durrell's and their lives after Corfu is also enthralling reading. This book is a must-read for all Durrell fans, and anyone who loves reading about wonderful characters in a idyllic place. I can't recommend it enough. ( )
  drmaf | Jun 28, 2017 |
A very slight book (read in two hours flat) that doesn't do justice to the subject. Rattling through the lives of the Durrells and their friends at such a frenetic pace did them no favours. Will add information and background for readers who know them only from Lawrence and Gerald's books, but quite frankly it reads like a (not very) extended Wikipedia entry, padded with too many extracts from said books. I paid £2.36 for it, and it's not worth that, even. ( )
1 vote sloopjonb | Jun 11, 2017 |

The Durrells of Corfu describes the family's upbringing in India and the crisis that brought them to England and then Greece. It recalls the genuine characters they encountered on Corfu - Theodore the biologist, the taxi driver Spiro Halikiopoulos and the prisoner Kosti - as well as the visit of American writer Henry Miller. And Haag has unearthed the story of how the Durrells left Corfu, including Margo's and Larry's last-minute escapes before the war. An extended epilogue looks at the emergence of Larry as a work famous novelist, and Gerry as a naturalist and champion of endangered species, as well as the lives of the rest of the family, their friends and other animals.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,655,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible