Moving Kings by Joshua Cohen

Moving Kings

by Joshua Cohen

This was a fast read. I enjoyed the author's writing style. The story was fast-paced and entertaining. The end was a bit of a let-down. The story is about a Jewish man, David, who is a business owner of a moving, storage company in NYC. He has his nephew from Israel come to assist following his service in the Israeli army. Some of the secondary characters are not as clearly integrated into the story and the end seems a bit abrupt. The details from NYC seemed very authentic as did the sections talking about life in modern-day Israel. ( )
  5041 | Aug 21, 2017 |
MOVING KINGS by Joshua Cohen is about two young men, Yoav and Uri, former Israeli soldiers, who have moved to New York and work for Yoav's uncle, David King, at his moving business, Kings Moving Inc. There are many aspects that MOVING KINGS, like race, class structure, the after effects of war, trust, and family consider. Cohen brings a very unique perspective to such topics by following Yoav, Uri, their uncle David, and others looking at how each of them think and feel and how that contrasts to how they outwardly act. As I was reading the book, I wasn't really seeing the depth of emotions that each of these people carry around with them, but once I finished, I can't stop pondering and processing what was really going on inside of them. There several times I thought the book was could have progressed the plot a little more and a little faster. I wanted a little more with Yoav and Uri and a little less of everyone else as well.
I think it speaks well of a book if you keep thinking about it after you have finished reading and MOVING KINGS will be one of those books. I wished that the book stayed focused a little more, but nevertheless, it brings up thought provoking and important perspectives that are topical and important in today's world of international relations.
I received this book as part of the Goodreads Giveaway program. ( )
  EHoward29 | Jul 17, 2017 |
I requested an ARC of this novel based on a summer reads recommendation list. I couldn't put it down!! The story follows two men, Yoav and Uri, who after serving their compulsory military service in Israel come to NYC to work for King Moving company. The company is owned and operated by Yoav's cousin who takes the men on as a way to assuage his internal guilt for failing his own children. The company specializes in eviction moving. Ultimately, the men are involved in an eviction gone wrong. The writing style sucked me into this story at the very outset and carried me at a frantic pace through the book. There is a tremendous amount of insight about Israeli military service and the eviction moving business as well as quiet commentary about the housing and eviction crisis in American cities. I highly recommend this fabulous summer novel to all adult audiences.

I received an advanced copy of this novel from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks!
  Well-ReadNeck | Jun 9, 2017 |

A propulsive, incendiary novel about faith, race, class, and what it means to have a home, from Joshua Cohen, “a major American writer” (The New York Times)

One of the boldest voices of his generation, Joshua Cohen returns with Moving Kings, a powerful and provocative novel that interweaves, in profoundly intimate terms, the housing crisis in America’s poor black and Hispanic neighborhoods with the world's oldest conflict, in the Middle East.

The year is 2015, and twenty-one-year-olds Yoav and Uri, veterans of the last Gaza War, have just completed their compulsory military service in the Israel Defense Forces. In keeping with national tradition, they take a year off for rest, recovery, and travel. They come to New York City and begin working for Yoav’s distant cousin David King—a proud American patriot, Republican, and Jew, and the recently divorced proprietor of King’s Moving Inc., a heavyweight in the Tri-State area’s moving and storage industries. Yoav and Uri now must struggle to become reacquainted with civilian life, but it’s not easy to move beyond their traumatic pasts when their days are spent kicking down doors as eviction-movers in the ungentrified corners of the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens, throwing out delinquent tenants and seizing their possessions. And what starts off as a profitable if eerily familiar job—an “occupation”—quickly turns violent when they encounter one homeowner seeking revenge.

Advance praise for Moving Kings

“Joshua Cohen’s Moving Kings is a lit fuse, a force let loose, a creeping flame heading for demolition, and Cohen himself is a fierce polyknower in command of the moving parts of the human predicament. A master of argot and wit, he writes the language of men in a staccato yet keening idiom of his own invention. And though it is set in a grungy New York, call this the first Israeli combat novel ever dared by an American writer.”—Cynthia Ozick

“Joshua Cohen is a blacksmith who heats, hammers, and molds the language to sharpest, most precise points—not for the sake of craft, but to tell a troubled story about troubled life in the twenty-first century. This is a dazzling and poignant book.”—Rachel Kushner

Praise for Joshua Cohen and Book of Numbers

“A startlingly talented novelist.”The Wall Street Journal

“Intelligent, lyrical, prosaic, theoretical, pragmatic, funny, serious . . . [Cohen’s] best prose does everything at once.”—James Wood, The New Yorker

“Cohen’s literary gifts—among them, his quick, tough-minded intelligence, his humor, his nervy refusal to be ingratiating . . . suggest that something is possible, that something still might be done to safeguard whatever it is that makes us human.”—Francine Prose

“Clever, poetic, fast-moving, deeply playful, filled with jokes, savvy about machines, wise about people, dazzling and engrossing.”—Colm Tóibín

“Joshua Cohen is one of the most intelligent, witty, and moving writers we have.”—Rivka Galchen

“Joshua Cohen is the Great American Novelist. . . . Cohen can write with tireless virtuosity about absolutely everything.”—Adam Kirsch, Tablet

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 10 Apr 2017 21:03:07 -0400)

"A propulsive, incendiary novel about faith, race, class, and what it means to have a home, from Joshua Cohen, "a major American writer" (The New York Times)"-- "This is a novel about two young Israeli soldiers who travel to New York after fighting in the Gaza War and find work as eviction movers. It's an incendiary story of the eviction crisis in poor African-American neighborhoods in America that also shines new light on the world's oldest conflict in the Middle East. 21-year-olds Yoav Tsarkhan and Uri Halifi have just completed their compulsory stint in the Israeli army, fighting in the 2014 Gaza War. In keeping with national tradition, they're entitled to a year of R & R: a gap-year spent abroad. They come to America and begin working for Yoav's distant cousin, David King--a proud American, Republican, Jew, and owner and operator of Moving King Inc., a heavyweight in the Tri-State area's moving and storage industry. Yoav and Uri now must struggle to become reacquainted with civilian life, but it's not easy to move past their militarized selves when their days are spent kicking down doors: Yoav and Uri work as eviction-movers in Brooklyn and Queens, dispossessing delinquent tenants and homeowners who've defaulted on their mortgages. And what starts off as a profitable if eerily familiar job quickly turns violent when they encounter one homeowner who refuses to leave"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,035,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible