All The Things You Have To Burn by Kit Abbey

All The Things You Have To Burn (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Kit Abbey

Info:Publisher Unknown (2017)
Collections:Read, Read this year, ebooks, Working on
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fic, SF, !ER, _import170427, __make_cover

All The Things You Have To Burn by (2017)

Recently added byjjmcgaffey

This book is incredibly frustrating. I get a lot of books offered free on Amazon and the like, and I've gotten really picky about them - and first and most easily, about the editing. It's usually a strong correlation between "the author didn't bother to edit the book well" and "the author didn't write well" - books with missing words, typos, "I do not think that word means what you think it does" usually also lack good characterization, well-done dialog, useful descriptions, often a reasonable plot. That doesn't describe this book. All the Things You Have to Burn is - well, it's fluff, but it's _good_ fluff, well-written and nicely presented. The world is fascinating, the characters are more than a quirk, the dialog is quite realistic. And the editing is _horrible_. I don't think there's a page without at least one error. It was like looking at a fascinating scene through a tangle of barbed wire - every time I got interested and settled in, some typo or sentence with doubled or missing words or nonsense word (in context) would throw me out of the story. And that said, I am perfectly willing to abandon a book that's bad...this one, I read all the way to the end (which isn't an ending, it's a setup for the next book). And I want to read the next book, too.
I see on Amazon that it says there's a new edition "Now professionally edited!" Hurray! A writer this good shouldn't be presenting a book with so many errors - it deserves to be properly readable. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jul 13, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

's book All The Things You Have To Burn was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,244,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible