The Secrets She Keeps: A Novel by Michael…

The Secrets She Keeps: A Novel

by Michael Robotham

2002283,239 (3.93)8

Brilliant thriller - baby stealing with voices from both the protagonist and baby's mother. ( )
  siri51 | Jul 29, 2018 |
Actual rating: 4.5 Stars

"Anyone who says that honesty is the best policy is living in la-la land."
Michael Robotham, The Secrets She Keeps

In the words of Foghorn Leghorn, "Ah say, Ah say" The Secrets She Keeps is sinister, gripping and a heck of a ride! The chapters are short and sweet, the plot is constantly moving and yes, the book lives it up to the hype. Robotham is a remarkable writer and I guarantee you will not want to put this book down. I was hooked from start to finish! The main characters are well developed and the story shows how all that glitters ain't gold! I am not going to give any additional details about the thriller (find out for yourself boo). I highly recommend this fascinating novel if you're looking for a fast-paced psychological thriller. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

I would like to thank Edelweiss and Scribner for providing me with an arc copy of this awesome book in exchange for an honest review.

For more reviews, visit: http://debbiesbooknook.com/ ( )
  debbiesbooknook | Apr 27, 2018 |
The blurb compares this to Girl on a train which I feel undersells this. This is much better. The only comparison is the unreliable narrator and that's hardly a new concept. Robothams writing reminded me of S.J. Watson. Both very convincingly portray the female perspective, a task most male authors fail miserably at. If you enjoy a psychological thriller this is a great one to fill a day or two. Its difficult to put down. ( )
  staceyfronczak | Apr 3, 2018 |
This book is from the psychological thriller genre, but it is quite different than what you would expect going in, knowing that. It's about life, love, human foibles, terrible trauma, and the psychological damage done to a young mind when unspeakable things happen to a young girl at a very impressionable age. In Agatha's case she was 13 when her childhood was robbed and her safety and security breached. By the time we meet her she is 38 years old, and she appears normal on the outside, but no one sees the damage inside. The book is told from alternating viewpoints throughout. First there is Agatha, a 30-something pregnant woman who has built a fantasy world inside her head with a man she has hardly known. Then there is Meghan. She is about the same age as Agatha, but she is a wife, mother of two small children, 6 and 4, and pregnant with a third. Meghan appears to have a perfect life with her tv personality husband, Jack. But all is not at all what seems with either of these two fascinating women. They are both heading on a collision course where all the facades and secrets are ripped apart and aired. Both are forever changed from their short friendship, and as I read, I found myself rooting for both of them. Michael Robotham understands women very well, and I kept having to remind myself that it was indeed a man that wrote this book. If you like your thrillers with a softer and more human approach, then this is the book for you. Jump in with both feet into Agatha's and Meghan's worlds, and don't look back once until you reach the end. It's a thoroughly enjoyable adventure. ( )
  Romonko | Mar 12, 2018 |
3.5 ( )
  Dawnssj | Jan 26, 2018 |

"Agatha is pregnant and works part-time stocking shelves at a grocery store in a ritzy London suburb, counting down the days until her baby is due. As the hours of her shifts creep by in increasing discomfort, the one thing she looks forward to at work is catching a glimpse of Meghan, the effortlessly chic customer whose elegant lifestyle dazzles her. Meghan has it all: two perfect children, a handsome husband, a happy marriage, a stylish group of friends, and she writes perfectly droll confessional posts on her popular parenting blog--posts that Agatha reads with devotion each night as she waits for her absent boyfriend, the father of her baby, to maybe return her calls. When Agatha learns that Meghan is pregnant again, and that their due dates fall within the same month, she finally musters up the courage to speak to her, thrilled that they now have the ordeal of childbearing in common. Little does Meghan know that the mundane exchange she has with a grocery store employee during a hurried afternoon shopping trip is about to change the course of her not-so-perfect life forever."--… (more)

Michael Robotham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,133,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible