Nuclear Family: A Tragicomic Novel in…

Nuclear Family: A Tragicomic Novel in Letters

by Susanna Fogel

741,138,814 (4.5)None

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The description on the front of "Nuclear Family" by Susanna Fogel is very honest. It is indeed a book full of emails that I would categorize as tragic and comical. What can I say? I have fallen in love with this Jewish family. Already I have laughed and cried along with the parents, sister, cousin,.grandmother and stepmother. There are voices from inanimate objects. May I say their opinions began to matter to me?

Jane, the sister, drove me nuts! Of course, she is young. I could not understand why she repeatedly called Julie a dude? Also, she or someone else continued to use the word that begins with (F). This does not only happen in Susanna Fogel's novel. It is happening in most of the new fiction it seems. I would like to see this word forgotten in literature or not seen as often.

We do not hear from Julie. I do not think it matters. I know her too. I feel her as she opens up the mail. I understand the mixed feelings about dating and trying to find number one or just a good date for a night. Of course, I would have liked her to appear at Temple Emmanuel.

Oh my goodness! I can not forget the shirtless rabbi on Facebook. I could not help it. I pictured him as a man you might find in a "Romantic Times" magazine. So handsome you want to like him up like strawberry ice cream. I hope it is alright to write the name of the magazine.

Honestly, this is a fun summer beach read or spring time or a book for any season. I only regret not having a Grandma Rose. There is so much to write or say about this small book that I can not write here due to time. I'm reading about an unknown site called Yelp.com. Now Mom you did come down pretty hard on that lawyer. You surprised me. I think you should have saved half that anger for him before his hospital visit. ( )
  Topazshell | Apr 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Julie is the subject of a series of letters and email from her family and assorted friends/objects is this cleverly written tale. We learn of her various adventures and those of family through their eyes and personality quirks. A very fast read, there are moments that were laugh out loud funny and some touching bits as well, though most of the wit is biting. This is a great commentary on a functioning dysfunctional family and there's a lot to relate to.

Entertaining and intelligently humorous without being highbrow. ( )
  amaryann21 | Apr 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As all the descriptions state, this is hilariously funny. But be forewarned—if you are Jewish this book may make you realize you are indeed a stereotype (blush). I know every single one of these characters all too well. The book's style is clever and makes it very readable. Fogel does a great job of skillfully telling a story in this way over a lengthy period of time. I thought the ending fizzled a bit, but in general, this is really fun to read. And probably just as fun the second or third time around. If someone needs something funny to read, this is it.
  hrabbit | Apr 17, 2017 |
I’m so glad I took a chance on this debut novel! It was a thoroughly entertaining read, the funniest book I’ve read in a long time. I’ve always liked epistolary books, and it somehow was even more fun only reading one side of the correspondence and trying to fill in the blanks for the main character. The book had a great cast of characters, sometimes stereotypical, but with an original twist here and there. This was a refreshing change of pace for me, and I highly recommend the book.
  Loried | Apr 14, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Nuclear Family by Susanna Fogel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible