Democracy by Joan Didion

Democracy (original 1984; edition 2011)

by Joan Didion

439None24,084 (3.68)15
Member:LivePaola
Title:Democracy
Authors:Joan Didion
Info:Vintage (2011), Kindle Edition, 240 pages
Tags:American fiction, Hawaii, politics, arms trade

Democracy by Joan Didion (1984)

Recently added byUCBear, Alan-M-Whatton, pathogenik, gromgrel, tagore, Giogio53, private library, earthforms, ocumare, pitjrw
Legacy LibrariesWilliam Gaddis, Walker Percy

somewhere between 2.5 and 3 stars. this is strangely written (both in prose style and in the fact that she inserts herself as author, as didion into the book). for the first 25 or 30 pages that distracted me, then i got over it and found i enjoyed the book much more. i think the title is probably brilliant at all it hints at and all the underlying issues it speaks to. the rest of the book was less so to me, although i enjoyed it. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 2, 2013 |
I agree with Greg (who wrote a review on GR), that the opening of this novel is a beautiful one. Having no idea where the book was going to take me, I had my hopes up and settled for a good read. Not an easy one, but that didn't matter.
When I got a little bit in the style of writing used, I got more and more disappointed though. And at the end there was only one conclusion to draw, being that I didn't like the book. For me it made not much sense, the way it was written. Jumping up and down, back and forth, repeated sentences, it was not my style at all. It made me completely restless, searching for something to cling to, but all was so unfamiliar.

The characters were allright, understandable and, to some extent even likeable. But since the book as a whole didn't really take me along on a journey, had me guessing continuously, I'm afraid that many of the interesting things that were there for sure completely escaped my attention.
Despite the dislike, I'm glad this book came along and that I had a chance to try it. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
ספר משונה. כתוב היטב, בסגנון סטקטו מתחכם ומתוחכם. ​מלא תעלולים כרימון. כמו כל ספר אמריקני ראוי לעיון ​- מתייחס לעצמו כל הזמן. ועם זאת, בסוף לא ברור על מ​ ( )
  amoskovacs | Nov 18, 2011 |
Group N
  gilsbooks | May 17, 2011 |
Das Licht in der Morgendämmerung bei diesen Tests im Pazifik ist etwas, das man gesehen haben muss.

Inez Victor knows that the major casualty of the political life is memory. But the people around Inez have made careers out of losing track. Her senator husband wants to forget the failure of his last bid for the presidency. Her husband's handler would like the press to forget that Inez's father is a murderer. And, in 1975, the year in which much of this bitterly funny novel is set, America is doing its best to lose track of its one-time client, the lethally hemorrhaging republic of South Vietnam.As conceived by Joan Didion, these personages and events constitute the terminal fallout of democracy, a fallout that also includes fact-finding junkets, senatorial groupies, the international arms market, and the Orwellian newspeak of the political class. Moving deftly from Honolulu to Jakarta, between romance, farce, and tragedy, Democracy is a tour de force from a writer who can dissect an entire society with a single phrase.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:49 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible