A Time of Love and Tartan by Alexander…

A Time of Love and Tartan

by Alexander McCall Smith

I love this series, but most of all Bertie. Some chapters I almost skim until I get to another chapter about this wise wee boy. I am glad Pat saw the error of her ways and wrote off Bruce. Who knows if Matthew and Elspeth's au pair is too good to be true. We'll have to see. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jun 18, 2018 |
The latest and possibly last in the 44 Scotland Street series.

Although the comedy scenes were just as funny as ever, I found the satire a lot less gentle than is McCall Smith's usual wont. ( )
  Robertgreaves | May 15, 2018 |
I love these 44 Scotland Street books. Best of all life begins to look up for Bertie and his dad. I highly recommend reading these books in order. ( )
  brangwinn | May 2, 2018 |
Needs better editing. A conversation starts in one chapter, then one of the parties arrives in the next chapter; Ranald goes to play at Bertie's place but then Ranald's parents are looking after them. ( )
  KWharton | Apr 11, 2018 |
I probably should have started at the beginning of this series, but there you have it. This is a delightful "slice of life" story of the residents at 44 Scotland Street. Such eccentric characters live there to be sure. This charming book was a sweet palate cleanser after some heavier reading. Little Bertie is happy; so all is well with the world.

Synopsis (from books back cover):
When Pat accepts her narcissistic ex-boyfriend Bruce’s invitation for coffee, she has no idea of the complications in her romantic and professional life that will follow. Meanwhile, Matthew, her boss at the art gallery, attracts the attention of the police after a misunderstanding at the local bookstore.

Whether caused by small things such as a cup of coffee and a book, or major events such as Stuart’s application for promotion and his wife Irene’s decision to pursue a PhD in Aberdeen, change is coming to Scotland Street. But for three seven-year-old boys–Bertie Pollock, Ranald, and Big Lou’s foster son, Finlay–it also means getting a glimpse of perfect happiness.

Alexander McCall Smith’s delightfully witty, wise and sometimes surreal comedy spirals out in surprising ways in this new installment, but its heart remains where it has always been, at the center of life in Edinburgh’s New Town. ( )
  KateBaxter | Mar 18, 2018 |

"The latest installment of Alexander McCall Smith's perennially popular and irresistibly charming 44 Scotland Street series. When Pat accepts her narcissistic ex-boyfriend Bruce's invitation for coffee, she has no idea of the complications in her romantic and professional life that will follow. Meanwhile, Matthew, her boss at the art gallery, attracts the attention of the police after a misunderstanding at the local bookstore. Whether caused by small things such as a cup of coffee and a book, or major events such as Stuart's application for promotion and his wife Irene's decision to pursue a PhD in Aberdeen, change is coming to Scotland Street. But for three seven-year-old boy--Bertie Pollock, Ranald, and Big Lou's foster son, Finlay--it also means getting a glimpse of perfect happiness. Alexander McCall Smith's delightfully witty, wise and sometimes surreal comedy spirals out in surprising ways in this new installment, but its heart remains where it has always been at the center of life in Edinburgh's New Town"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,961,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible