Lady Mechanika TP Vol 03: The Lost Boys of…

Lady Mechanika TP Vol 03: The Lost Boys of West Abbey (edition 2017)

by Marcia Chen (Author)

Lady Mechanika's investigation into the murders of"undesirable" children in Mechanika City triggers an unexpected reaction fromher subconscious self. But are they truly lost memories finally surfacing afterso many years, or just simple nightmares? And what connection does the killerhave to Lady Mechanika's past? Collects the complete third Lady Mechanikamini-series, The Lost Boys of West Abbey, including extra pages which were notpublished in the original comic books.… (more)
Member:grunin
Title:Lady Mechanika TP Vol 03: The Lost Boys of West Abbey
Authors:Marcia Chen (Author)
Info:Benitez Productions (2017), 64 pages

Lady Mechanika Vol 03: The Lost Boys of West Abbey by Marcia Chen (Author)

I received this from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Not a bad story, but extremely short, over a hundred pages shorter than the previous two volumes. As always, though, the artwork was fantastic. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
I received an eGalley from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review, this in no way affects my review.

I really enjoyed this one! It's my first time reading a Lady Mechanika comic/graphic novel, and I would love to read the rest! I picked up this title because of the cover and title, but also because the blurb sounded interesting. While I wish it was longer, and that the story took a little longer to wrap up, I still enjoyed it. I loved the art, and the creepy setting was perfect! The characters were fun and unique, and the plot although short and simple, was still entertaining. Were it longer and a little more complex I would have easily given this 5 stars! As it is my first reading of Lady Mechanika, I almost did anyway, but seeing review for other Lady Mechanika works, I decided to wait until I have read more before awarding it a 5 star review. Still I loved reading this, and hope to read more soon!

This review and others can also be found on my blog: Adventures Thru Wonderland ( )
  Shadow494 | Feb 1, 2018 |
** I received a copy of this book for free through a Goodreads giveaway. **

I really enjoyed this graphic novel! I loved the world, loved the magic/science combination, and enjoyed the mystery (although that was less interesting than the world and the characters, there was enough mystery to keep the story moving). The illustrations were amazing also and really helped tell the story. I will definitely be continuing with this series and have already ordered the first two installments. Definitely recommended for steampunk/victorian mystery/magic fans!! ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
This volume of the Lady Mechanika series was, for my taste, better than the first two (which I did also enjoy). I just felt the story was better and the artwork was subtly better, or at least less cheesy and more natural (whatever natural would be for someone like Lady).

If you kinda liked the first two but was on the fence about reading more in the series I think you will be pleasantly surprised with this volume. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Sep 21, 2017 |
It wasn’t too long ago that I discovered the Lady Mechanika graphic novel series, and its one I’ve come to look forward to reading each time I find a new volume. When I had the opportunity to read an early copy of Lady Mechanika Vol. 3: The Lost Boys of West Abbey by M.M. Chen and Joe Benitez, I jumped on it.

Lady Mechanika is an engrossing steampunk adventure told in graphic novel format, and is a series I would recommend to all fans of both steampunk and graphic novels. This volume continues to follow the adventures of Lady Mechanika and her friends and companions. Lady Mechanika takes an interest in a new case after Winifred finds the headline in the newspaper. Children have been found murdered in Mechanika City, and, if that weren’t enough, they all have connections to mechanical experiments.

The artwork is, once again, absolutely stunning. This alone will keep me coming back for more each time. The design and color pallet choices hold a certain mastery that isn’t quite attained by ever graphic novel or comic I stumble across. The characters are quite chatty, however. Some of the pages feel a bit too cluttered with dialogue. There are almost paragraphs instead of sentences in some places, which can make getting through a single page take longer than usual. A bit ironic, really considering the overall length of the volume.

The characters are both memorable and endearing. Mr. Lewis has returned for this adventure, being notably absent in the second volume. His niece, Winifred, first introduced in volume 2, has also returned. Volume 3 seeing the introduction of a new character as well, this time not a relative of Mr. Lewis. Singh is a detective who is also investigating the murders. Despite not having very many pages to get to know him, I quite liked Singh’s character. Mechanika and Singh make a good pair, and, I hope he’s included in future installments.

The story feels less fleshed out than previous books in the series, and for good reason. At only 63 pages long its almost one hundred pages shorter than both the first and second volume in the series. Everything is over before the story has really begun. While I really liked the introduction of the new character, we don’t have time to really get to know him. And there is only one real fight scene as opposed to numerous ones in previous volumes.

Even so, the story is much stronger and held my attention much more fully than volume 2. We go back to more plot relevant happenings as opposed to the more generic globetrotting and friend saving of the previous volume. Mechanika’s background is once again touched upon if not fully explored. The current case she is working on have brought nightmares with it, only Lady Mechanika can’t fully tell if they are normal nightmares or if she is finally beginning to remember the parts of her past which have been long forgotten. I can only hope we will see this developed further in future volumes.

I greatly enjoyed Lady Mechanika, Vol. 3: The Lost Boys of West Abbey. It was a fun tale that was more in tune with the first volume in the series than the second one. If you like graphic novels, steampunk, and strong female main characters check this series out. If you don’t like steampunk or don’t like very chatty characters in your graphic novels you may want to skip this one. ( )
  kateprice88 | Jul 22, 2017 |

Chen, MarciaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benitez, JoeArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Montiel, MartinArtistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sotelo, BethArtistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steigerwald, PeterArtistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,727,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible