Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Solo (Blink) by Kwame Alexander

Solo (Blink) (edition 2017)

by Kwame Alexander (Author)

Series: Blink (1)

New York Times bestseller! Blade never asked for a life of the rich and famous. In fact, he'd give anything not to be the son of Rutherford Morrison, a washed-up rock star and drug addict with delusions of a comeback. Or to no longer be part of a family known most for lost potential, failure, and tragedy, including the loss of his mother. The one true light is his girlfriend, Chapel, but her parents have forbidden their relationship, assuming Blade will become just like his father. In reality, the only thing Blade and Rutherford have in common is the music that lives inside them. And songwriting is all Blade has left after Rutherford, while drunk, crashes his high school graduation speech and effectively rips Chapel away forever. But when a long-held family secret comes to light, the music disappears. In its place is a letter, one that could bring Blade the freedom and love he's been searching for, or leave him feeling even more adrift. "A contemporary hero's journey, brilliantly told." --Kirkus Reviews, starred review "A rhythmic, impassioned ode to family, identity, and the history of rock and roll." --Booklist, starred review "Many readers will identify with Blade's struggle to find his place in a family where he feels like an outsider." --Publishers Weekly "The authentic character development and tone will strike a chord with young adults." --School Library Journal… (more)
Member:EileenConnon
Title:Solo (Blink)
Authors:Kwame Alexander (Author)
Info:Blink (2017), Edition: First Edition, First Printing., 464 pages

Solo by Kwame Alexander

Novel told in verse will take you on a roller coaster of emotions as the author tells a story of a young boy discovering who he truly is through music. ( )
  Tbsparker | Jul 19, 2020 |
So 17, so lyrical.

This book managed to break my heart and fill it up within pages or even lines...I plan to buy my own copy and dog-ear the hell out of it. Write in the margins. Consume it.

Welcome to my favorites shelf, Solo. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Author writes a story with a lot of poetry/song writing. The boy is ashamed of his drug using musician father. His girlfriend betrays him, after a secret is revealed by his sister he decides to go to Ghana to get away and to learn more about who he is. ( )
  Kristelh | Jun 25, 2020 |
Solo didn’t pull at my heartstrings the way The Crossover did. The famous parents and lavish lifestyle featured in Solo just wasn’t to my taste. However, it was still a very good book and I did enjoy it. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
I loved Crossover so I thought I would love this, but it seemed VERY similar to me. I understand finding something that works and sticking with it, especially if your audience is middle grade and young adult boys, but it seemed more like checking things off a list - famous father, check; weird family dynamics, check; death in some shape or form, check; passion (music vs sports, but still), check. It was well done overall, but still can’t help but feel like it was just a slightly different version of the same book. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jun 4, 2019 |

Kwame Alexanderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hess, Mary Randsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Blink (1)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,529,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible