Ride: Kit Meets Covington by Bobbi J. G.…

Ride: Kit Meets Covington

by Bobbi J. G. Weiss

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was interested in this book since I am a huge fan of the Thoroughbred Series. Unfortunately, nothing is as good as the "original". This is more modern and obviously not horse racing, but seemed hard to follow as the flow jumped all over. While this may be based off a TV show, it doesn't seem like something that would catch my attention after reading, if I was a teen interested in horses as I once was. I appreciate the attention to horses and the magic they provide us though and am glad there are still books out there like this topic, but hopefully more interesting ones to come! ( )
  nocturnewytche | Sep 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting book that seems to be the start of a series. Set in a British boarding school but clearly in recent times as indicated by the inclusion of technology like cell phones in the story. It would probably be of greatest interest to teen & preteen readers. ( )
  LoamParticle | Sep 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed a good horse story when I was a preteen, but i don't think I'd care for this one unless I had seen the TV show. Back in my day, books were written to increase children's ability to read and understand new concepts, instead of writing down to them. Personally, I think books written based on TV or movies get away with a lot more and they just want to get it out there, rather than worry about quality. ( )
  eliorajoy | Aug 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought that the plot of this novel seemed interesting and could potentially be a good story for a young YA novel. However, there was no flow to this book at all, it was hard to follow along with who was saying what and the sentences were clunky. Part way through the book, the narration started switching back and forth between several of the main characters, much like how a TV show would, but the way it was edited made it hard to recognize that the narration had changed. Because of this, it made it very hard to get into the novel and enjoy reading it. On top of that, the story itself was cheesy and it was easy to predict what was going to happen next.

That being said, perhaps someone who has seen the TV show and is used to reading young YA with cheesy plot lines would be able to appreciate the novel. But, sadly for me it was not a fun read. The idea for the plot was good, but was not written and executed as well as it should have been. ( )
  KatrinaSakimoto | Aug 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fourteen-year-old Kit is a pretty plucky girl. But her pluck is put to the test because: 1) she and her cowboy father move to England for her father's new job at The Covington Academy, and 2) the academy is an equestrian boarding school. Kit hasn't ridden a horse in years, since the terrifying time she fell from one. Now she must take on a new country, a new school, and her fear of riding in Ride: Kit Meets Covington, a novel by author Bobbi JG Weiss.

For everyone who may be familiar with the drama series Ride from Nickelodeon or YTV, more power to you. I'd never heard of the show before.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed this novel.

Now, though I gather that it's a young YA book, it had a more juvenile feel to me, reading like a children's (perhaps middle grade?) book with teenaged characters. Maybe I'm just better acquainted with old-fashioned children's and young adult books and have less of a feel for what those genres are like these days.

But anyhow, this is indeed an engaging, humorous, and motivating tale with a fun batch of characters. I thought the story's development was a bit bumpy or choppy at times, and some of the points of view seemed to be introduced/explored a little late. And, even knowing that this is Book One of a coming series, the last few scenes had me thinking, "So...that's it, then? This is where and how the story is ending?"

Still, quite a worthwhile read, and I'd be delighted to continue on with the series, when it continues.
_____________
I received a complimentary copy of this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program for an honest review. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Aug 16, 2017 |

When American teen Kit Bridges moves to England to attend an elite equestrian boarding school, neither she nor her new home will ever be quite the same.

Trying to move on from her mother’s death and afraid of riding after a bad fall, plucky fourteen-year-old Kit Bridges doesn’t quite know what to expect when her father takes a position at The Covington Academy. a prestigious boarding school in England. Things are looking up when Kit meets her cool, possibly secretly royal new roommate, Anya, and the boys of Covington, like Will, with their charming accents. But she hadn’t anticipated such a strict headmistress as Lady Covington. Or the expectation that every student be a rider. Or the wild horse that she seems to have a strange and special bond with. While navigating new friendships, romances, and an alarmingly austere new environment, Kit needs to figure out whether she’s ready to get back in the saddle. And at the end of the day, it’s hard to tell who will be more changed by her arrival — The Covington Academy or Kit herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:16:45 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Bobbi J. G. Weiss's book Ride: Kit Meets Convington is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible