Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Mrs. Saint and the Defectives: A Novel by…

Mrs. Saint and the Defectives: A Novel

by Julie Lawson Timmer

I feel like I read two different books. The first part of Mrs. Saint is about a whiny divorcee, Markie, whose husband cheated on her repeatedly and took all her money before she kicked him out. Markie only left him once everyone else found out that he was a cheater. She moves into a cozy little neighborhood with the nosy Mrs. Saint next door. Then comes all the whining about just wanting to be left alone - although clearly, her neighbors are doing everything they can to help the now-single-mother out.

The second part, and the best part, of the book happens after a tragedy occurs next door to Markie. If the story that was told in this second part of the book was the actual story of the book, and not just a memory retold by a character, this book would have been so amazing. Since this is not the case, I can only tell you that the end of the book is pretty good and ties up all the little mysteries that accumulated throughout.

I did listen to this book, so some of my reactions about Markie may be colored by the narration of her character. But she does seem overly uptight and spoiled, even for what she has gone through with the divorce, and oftentimes her anger seemed unjustified, ridiculous and forced. So, if you enjoy books with a completely unlikable main character, albeit with a pretty good payoff at the end, you will probably like this book. ( )
  ouroborosangel | May 22, 2018 |
A surprisingly heartfelt novel centered on a newly divorced woman and her noisy next door neighbor, Mrs. Saint. Mrs. Saint's actions would drive anyone to run for the hills but her heart is in the right place. The ending was a complete surprise and tears were shed. ( )
  Gingersnap000 | May 8, 2018 |
I won this KINDLE version in a GOODREADS giveaway. ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jan 6, 2018 |
I was in the mood for something light but the plot development didn't sustain my interest and the writing was not clever/fine/astute enough to keep me going. The characters and the premise were enough to get me almost half the way though but I lost interest. Two stars for intent and a great cover. ( )
  triscuit | Oct 4, 2017 |
i just don't know about this one. i found the pacing really off... so much set-up took up the first ⅔+ of the book, and then a crap-ton of stuff was crammed into the last ⅓ of the story. it felt very off balance as i was reading. there is a charm to the story, as well as lots of heart, but i was wanting more depth to the characters instead of so much plot. but that's just me. this is a 'nice' book, so if you need a bit of a break from heavier novels, or want something for a vacation read, this could be a good choice. this also is one i can see being adapted for screen in some way. ( )
  Booktrovert | Sep 15, 2017 |

Markie, a forty something divorcee who has suffered a humiliating and very public fall from marital, financial and professional grace, moves with her teenage son to a new town, hoping to lick her wounds in private. But they are unable to escape the attention of their new neighbour Mrs. Saint, an irascible, elderly european woman who takes it upon herself, along with her ragtag group of "defectives," to identify and fix the flaws in those around her, whether they want her to or not. What Markie doesn't realize is that Mrs. Saint has big plans for the divorcee's broken spirit. Soon, she recruits Markie to join her eccentric community, a world where both hidden truths and hope unite them. But when Mrs. Saint's own secrets threaten to unravel their fragile web of healing, it's up to Markie to mend these wounds and usher in a new era for the "defectives" - one full of second chances and happiness.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,456,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible