Sliver of Truth by Lisa Unger

Sliver of Truth

by Lisa Unger

English (17)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
SLIVER OF TRUTH is Lisa Unger’s second novel. It is a continuation of her first novel, BEAUTIFUL LIES. You’ll understand and enjoy SLIVER OF TRUTH more if you read BEAUTIFUL LIES first.

This continuation begins, probably, a year or two after BEAUTIFUL LIES ends. Ridley Jones thought all her troubles were over, but they get even worse now. Not only are there more secrets and lies but one, in particular, sure is a surprise.

Who is Ridley’s "Uncle" Max? How important is he and to whom? Did he really die? Plenty of people don’t think so and hope Ridley can help them find him.

As is BEAUTIFUL LIES, SLIVER OF TRUTH is both plot- and character-driven. And, again in both novels, Lisa Unger writes in first person and in a conversational manner, as if Ridley is talking just to you. ( )
  techeditor | Nov 1, 2018 |
Not as good as the first, but still a good read. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
This is the second book about Ridley Jones, it is a continuation of the Beautiful Lies and while I enjoyed it, I am pretty much done with Ridley Jones. All the way through this novel we get a rehash of the first novel, she repeats herself constantly. We learn her dislike for cell phones and why she is a terrible driver, both facts that were covered in the first novel and didn’t really need to be re-explored here. She also jumps forward in time and and then explains her actions and conversations in a memory tense.

There were some things that were downright implausible, she does some rather stupid things, apparently she didn’t learn anything from the first book, and despite saying she loved New York, she had some rather unfavorable and untrue things to say about it.

As in the first book, she is carrying on with her life and suddenly everything turns upside down. She ends up being chased by bad guys and good guys, can’t trust anyone and falls in love/lust with a new guy, the same way she fell in love/lust with the last guy and that relationship went south. At the end of the book, she doesn’t know who to trust but ends up free and with the guy and although the ending leaves room for another book (please God no), if there is I won’t be reading it, I can’t see this series coming up with anything new. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
3.5 stars

Ridley Jones is still seeking answers about her biological father, who has died. I won't go into any more summary, as there would likely be spoilers for the first book, Beautiful Lies.

I liked it, but not as much as Beautiful Lies. It didn't grab me and pull me in as much as the first one, but it did pick up in the last third or so. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 30, 2014 |
Here there be spoilers.

Another couple of thrillers with one, long story (Sliver of Truth is the sequel to Beautiful Lies). A bit more uneven than the last two like these I read and also a bit outside the bounds of reality. Sure, they’re thrillers, but the protagonist is a flake and makes some pretty stupid decisions. Also, the conspiracy and criminal activity goes pretty deep and wide, but of course never too close to home. Unlikely enemies and unlikely friends abound. I stuck with her for two books, but probably won’t read a third if one ever gets published.

Ridley Jones has had a pretty idyllic life. Well-loved by her parents she’s grown up to be a self-sufficient person making a career in freelance journalism. Part of the reason she can do this is the chunck of money left to her by millionaire Uncle Max who died in a car accident not long before the story opens. The only thorn in her side is her addict/street-person brother, Ace, and the fact that things didn’t work out with her fiance. He doesn’t seem to know that he’s been kicked to the curb though.

When her instincts kick in and she saves a little kid from being squashed by a beer truck, she gets her 15 minutes of fame and as a result receives a mysterious communication from a stranger that causes her whole world to implode. She’s not really the child she thought she was and her parents have knowledge of a secret world where kids are “rescued” by well-meaning adults and “sold” to rich white people. Of course in her case, it is more complicated than that.

Uncle Max is the big villain here, but I didn’t really buy it. He never showed himself until the end, and a cold smile wasn’t enough to do it. All the evidence against him was contained in little reports and files and because none of it was ever on stage, so to speak, it seemed remote and open for doubt. That Ridley came to believe it is clear, but nothing like that was conveyed to me as a reader. Esme and Zack took the stage with their evil deeds, but Max never did and so he remains distant and not much of a threat.

Ridley is one of those leading characters designed, I think, to make the reader feel smart. I found her immature with very little control of her emotions. She flew into rages or sulks or the sack with no pause for thought about how these things might affect her. She was by turns paranoid and so trusting that you could hardly feel bad for the consequences because damn, she deserved to get fucked up, lied to and screwed over. Her first person style was also assumptive and sometimes featured stilted language. No one would talk like that or write like that, but after a while I let it go and chalked it up to Ridley’s being a writer. Eh, it got me through. ( )
  Bookmarque | Feb 5, 2014 |
FOR OCEAN RAE
Who, even before her arrival, changed me in ways I never could have imagined...
Who has brought more love and joy to Jeffrey and me than we knew existed.
Just the anticipation of her was the most magnificent gift...
even when she was just the glow of sunshine on the water.
We are blessed by her presence in our lives.

DECEMBER 25, 2005
She wondered, is it possible, maybe even normal, to spend twenty years of your life with someone, to love that person more than you love yourself sometimes, and then sometimes to truly hate him, so much that you think about taking your new cast-iron grill pan and bringing it down on the top of his head?

The highly anticipated follow-up to the New York Times bestseller Beautiful Lies.

Charged with relentless intensity and kinetic action, and playing out with unnerving suspense on the streets of New York and London, Sliver of Truth delves deep into the shadowy world of Ridley Jones, a terrified but determined young woman at once hunting down a ghost from her past and running for her life.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:18 -0400)

New York writer Ridley Jones finds herself at the center of a global crime network when she picks up a few prints at a local photo lab, prints that reveal the presence of a mysterious, familiar, and supposedly dead figure with ties to her own past.

Lisa Unger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,397,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible