Sliver of Truth by Lisa Unger

Sliver of Truth

by Lisa Unger

English (14)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
3.5 stars

Ridley Jones is still seeking answers about her biological father, who has died. I won't go into any more summary, as there would likely be spoilers for the first book, Beautiful Lies.

I liked it, but not as much as Beautiful Lies. It didn't grab me and pull me in as much as the first one, but it did pick up in the last third or so. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 30, 2014 |
Here there be spoilers.

Another couple of thrillers with one, long story (Sliver of Truth is the sequel to Beautiful Lies). A bit more uneven than the last two like these I read and also a bit outside the bounds of reality. Sure, they’re thrillers, but the protagonist is a flake and makes some pretty stupid decisions. Also, the conspiracy and criminal activity goes pretty deep and wide, but of course never too close to home. Unlikely enemies and unlikely friends abound. I stuck with her for two books, but probably won’t read a third if one ever gets published.

Ridley Jones has had a pretty idyllic life. Well-loved by her parents she’s grown up to be a self-sufficient person making a career in freelance journalism. Part of the reason she can do this is the chunck of money left to her by millionaire Uncle Max who died in a car accident not long before the story opens. The only thorn in her side is her addict/street-person brother, Ace, and the fact that things didn’t work out with her fiance. He doesn’t seem to know that he’s been kicked to the curb though.

When her instincts kick in and she saves a little kid from being squashed by a beer truck, she gets her 15 minutes of fame and as a result receives a mysterious communication from a stranger that causes her whole world to implode. She’s not really the child she thought she was and her parents have knowledge of a secret world where kids are “rescued” by well-meaning adults and “sold” to rich white people. Of course in her case, it is more complicated than that.

Uncle Max is the big villain here, but I didn’t really buy it. He never showed himself until the end, and a cold smile wasn’t enough to do it. All the evidence against him was contained in little reports and files and because none of it was ever on stage, so to speak, it seemed remote and open for doubt. That Ridley came to believe it is clear, but nothing like that was conveyed to me as a reader. Esme and Zack took the stage with their evil deeds, but Max never did and so he remains distant and not much of a threat.

Ridley is one of those leading characters designed, I think, to make the reader feel smart. I found her immature with very little control of her emotions. She flew into rages or sulks or the sack with no pause for thought about how these things might affect her. She was by turns paranoid and so trusting that you could hardly feel bad for the consequences because damn, she deserved to get fucked up, lied to and screwed over. Her first person style was also assumptive and sometimes featured stilted language. No one would talk like that or write like that, but after a while I let it go and chalked it up to Ridley’s being a writer. Eh, it got me through. ( )
  Bookmarque | Feb 5, 2014 |
Just when you thought Ridley Jones might find happiness....wham!! Unger gets you again! This follow up to Beautiful LIes keeps you reeling with suspense and action! What a great story! Thanks Lisa!! ( )
  Jenxy21 | Jun 5, 2012 |
This is the second novel that I have read of Lisa Unger's, the first was [Darkness My Old Friend]. She has a real gift for weaving an interesting and complex mystery story and holding my interest, while concealing the solution to the mystery right up to the very end. [Sliver of Truth] is written in a first person narrative which I also appreciated.
And, I do not think it likely that I will read any more of her work. In fact I read this book to uncover my dissatisfaction with her style and have identified what did not sit right with me. She is repetitive to the point of distraction; where an occasional review is appreciated, Unger drives it in over and over, not unlike an ex-husband's rehash of a 20 year past argument. I felt too, that there are gross incongruities and an overall immaturity in her characters and their development. I'm glad to have been exposed to her work - we just aren't a good personality match. ( )
  imsodion | Apr 22, 2012 |
The most striking thing about this book is the very conversational style of writing. It is as if the main character and first person narrator is sitting with you in your living room and telling you all about what happened to her. This can be very engaging, but can also be a little bit jarring, particularly when her asides take you out of the story and her endless analysis of her choices in a specific moment. Foreshadowing is also a little heavy-handed as well as frequent. ("If I had known what was going to happen, I might not have done what I did next.")
That being said, everything else about this book was just fabulous. The plot twists, secrets and revlations were riveting, and heart-pounding. The main theme of whether (and how much) who a person is is influenced by who her parents are was quite philosophical and pulled the book together, lifted it slightly above your average mystery/thriller.
***SPOILERS AHEAD***
As this is the sequel to "Beautiful Lies" in which Ridley finds out that her parents are not her parents and that she is actually the biological child of her "Uncle" Max and a woman who was murdered when Ridley was little, as well as the fact that Max was an associate of organized crime, I would really recommend one read that first. I hadn't read it in a while, and my memory was refreshed quite expertly, without a lot of boring exposition, but I don't know that one would be able to follow along well if they hadn't read it at all.
Go get the pair of them and read them now. Thanks. ( )
  EmScape | Sep 10, 2011 |
FOR OCEAN RAE
Who, even before her arrival, changed me in ways I never could have imagined...
Who has brought more love and joy to Jeffrey and me than we knew existed.
Just the anticipation of her was the most magnificent gift...
even when she was just the glow of sunshine on the water.
We are blessed by her presence in our lives.

DECEMBER 25, 2005
She wondered, is it possible, maybe even normal, to spend twenty years of your life with someone, to love that person more than you love yourself sometimes, and then sometimes to truly hate him, so much that you think about taking your new cast-iron grill pan and bringing it down on the top of his head?

The highly anticipated follow-up to the New York Times bestseller Beautiful Lies.

Charged with relentless intensity and kinetic action, and playing out with unnerving suspense on the streets of New York and London, Sliver of Truth delves deep into the shadowy world of Ridley Jones, a terrified but determined young woman at once hunting down a ghost from her past and running for her life.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:57 -0400)

New York writer Ridley Jones finds herself at the center of a global crime network when she picks up a few prints at a local photo lab, prints that reveal the presence of a mysterious, familiar, and supposedly dead figure with ties to her own past.

Lisa Unger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Seven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,123,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible