A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's…

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (2005)

by Eckhart Tolle

5,141931,349 (4.01)62
Tolle presents readers with an honest look at the current state of humanity: he implores us to see and accept that this state, which is based on an erroneous identification with the egoic mind, is one of dangerous insanity. However, there is an alternative to this potentially dire situation. Humanity now, perhaps more than in any previous time, has an opportunity to create a new, saner, more loving world. This will involve a radical inner leap from the current egoic consciousness to an entirely new one. In illuminating the nature of this shift, Tolle describes in detail how our current ego-based state of consciousness operates. Then gently, and in very practical terms, he leads us into this new consciousness. We will come to experience who we truly are--which is something infinitely greater than anything we currently think we are.--From publisher description.… (more)

English (88)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (94)
In short: traditional Catholic spirituality rewritten in the current vocabulary. The evidence?
Eckhart Tolle (pg.225): (1) non-resistance (2) non-judgment, (3) non-attachment
Ignatian Banners of Christ (in the Spiritual Exercises) (1) vulnerability (2) humility (3) poverty
Or take Eckart’s sense of Presence and the Now. Here’s a quote from “The Sacrament of the Present Moment” by Jean Pierre Caussade, a humble eighteenth century priest
“ And so we leave God to act in everything, reserving for ourselves only love and obedience to the present moment. For this is our eternal duty. This compelling love, steeped in silence, is required of every soul…Pure, simple and sure, it is a straight path along which souls walk with courage and faith, looking neither to the right nor to the left, unconcerned with everything else. “
Or page 78 in “A New Earth” “This is why we call it Presence. The ultimate purpose of human existence, which is to say, your purpose, is to bring that power into this world.” Isn’t this a rephrasing of what it means to be in Christ? To be alive with the Holy Spirit in Christ? There are many such examples.He has rewritten (in a secular language of sorts) the thinking of such classic Catholics as Teilhard de Chardin (on the world wide evolution of the spirit), St. Therese of Lisieux (on the “Little Way” or “Just for Today”) and Brother Lawrence ( living in the ordinary daily task and present moment.)
What is strange is Eckhart’s explicit anti-Catholicism. On page 70, for example, he draws a parallel between the Catholic Church, in the first paragraph, and Pol Pot, in the second. I didn’t uncover any of his own opinions which seemed at odds with Catholic tradition, although there is much that is missing – and vital - a concern with social justice being chief here, or a respect for the discipline of communal life.
I would say that the Catholic antidote to the ego is living in a web of relationships which we call community, where we learn to respond to God’s love in the present moment. Eckhart Tolle’s antidote to ego seems to be rather more solitary and less loving.

MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
With his bestselling spiritual guide "The Power of Now," Eckhart Tolle inspired millions of readers to discover the freedom and joy of a life lived in the now. In "A New Earth," Tolle expands on these powerful ideas to show how transcending our ego-based state of consciousness is not only essential to personal happiness, but also the key to ending conflict and suffering throughout the world. Tolle describes how our attachment to the ego creates the dysfunction that leads to anger, jealousy, and unhappiness, and shows readers how to awaken to a new state of consciousness and follow the path to a truly fulfilling existence. "The Power of Now" was a question-and-answer handbook. "A New Earth" has been written as a traditional narrative, offering anecdotes and philosophies in a way that is accessible to all. Illuminating, enlightening, and uplifting, "A New Earth" is a profoundly spiritual manifesto for a better way of life?and for building a better world.
  PSZC | Apr 16, 2019 |
In this volume the author expands on the powerful ideas presented in "The Power of Now" to show how transcending our ego-based state of consciousness is not only essential to personal happiness, but also the key to ending conflict and suffering throughout the world. Tolle describes how our attachment to the ego creates the dysfunction that leads to anger, jealousy, and unhappiness, and shows readers how to awaken to a new state of consciousness and follow the path to a truly fulfilling existence.
  PendleHillLibrary | Feb 5, 2019 |
Garbage. Couldn't get past the 1st 2 or 3 chapters. Repeats the same nothing.
  travelster | Jun 26, 2018 |
While there are a few inspirational bits to it, for the most part, it completely missed the mark for me. ( )
  abergsman | Mar 20, 2018 |
Earth, 114 million years ago, one morning just after sunrise: The first flower ever to appear on the planet opens up to receive the rays of the sun.
A new species is arising on the planet. It is arising now, and you are it!
We are in the midst of a momentous event in the evolution of human consciousness. But they won’t be talking about it in the news tonight. On our planet, and perhaps simultaneously in many parts of our galaxy and beyond, consciousness is awakening from the dream of form. This does not mean all forms (the world) are going to dissolve, although quite a few almost certainly will. It means consciousness can now begin to create form without losing itself in it. It can remain conscious of itself, even while it creates and experiences form.

Dé uitdaging van deze tijd
De wereld is op een belangrijk kruispunt aangekomen. Het ego-gerichte bewustzijn heeft aarde en mensheid aan de rand van de totale catastrofe gebracht. Het Js dan ook hoog tijd voor een collectieve bewustzijnstransfor-matie, waardoor we onze zwaarte en dichtheid verliezen en de kostbare edelstenen worden die we in wezen zijn, zodat we transparant worden voor het licht van bewustzijn. Sinds mensenheugenis was de mogelijkheid van zo'n transformatie de boodschap van lichtbrengers als Boeddha, Jezus en anderen. Staat de mensheid er nu meer voor open dan toen? En: wat kunnen we doen orn deze verschuiving in onszelf te versnellen? En hoe kunnen we het nieuwe, ontwakende bewustzijn herkennen? Op deze en andere wezenlijke vragen gaat dit boek in. Nog belangrijker echter is dat dit boek zelf een instrument voor transformatie is, ontstaan vanuit het nieuwe bewustzijn. Al lezende ervaren we de verschuiving die in ons plaatsvindt.
Alleen de transformatie naar een
nieuwe staat van bewustzijn zal een
nieuwe aarde van vrede teweegbrengen
E'-KHART TOLLE is een van de meest prominente spreken wereldwijd op het gebied van verlichting Zijn bestseller The Power of Now i; in 21 talen verschenen. De kracht van het Nu is m Nederland al jdren nummer 1 van de spirituele toptien. Van zijn boeken De kracht van het Nu, De kracht van het Nu Pn de praktijk en De stilte spreekt zijn in totaal al 150.000 exemplaren verkocht. Vlet dit langverwachte nieuwste boek geeft Eckhart Tolle ons opnieuw een kostbaar geschenk.

Plume

An edition of this book was published by Plume.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0718148576, 0143143492, 0141042885

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,198,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible