Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like…

Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Kate Raworth (Author)

Member:MaureenRoy
Title:Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist
Authors:Kate Raworth (Author)
Info:Chelsea Green Publishing (2018), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages

Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist by Kate Raworth (2017)

Dutch (3)  English (2)  All languages (5)
I am a master of science in economics myself and graduated in 1993. I was fed with insights of the famous economists like John Maynard Keynes, Milton Friedman, and Herbert Simon. Think of the homo economicus, an infinite and exponential growth of the GDP, market equilibrium, and a bandwagon every country should jump onto on the road to development. Enter the 21st Century with the Occupy movement, anti-globalists, cradle-to-cradle and sustainability, bounded growth and economies that are way more complex to manage than keeping an eye on the GDP, interest rates, and inflation.

Kate Raworth took the challenge to deconstruct the ideas of the past century and construct a new paradigm around a doughnut-shaped graphic in which multiple dimensions and factors influencing our economy have a place and need explanation and proof. In Doughnut Economics : Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist she takes her audience on an inspiring and for sure politics flavored tour de modern era economists, innovators, environmental savvy investors and world citizens like you and me in order to save the planet, still provide profitable business and make people happy. ( )
1 vote hjvanderklis | May 8, 2018 |
This book is a great read and, although I have no knowledge of economics, the ideas within this book seem to be anideal way forward for the World.

There are seven steps; change the goal, see the big picture, nurture human nature, get savvy with systems, design to distribute, create to regenerate and be agnostic about growth. I find no reason to gainsay a single one so, why do I remain unconvinced?

It is clearly impossible for any system on earth to continue to produce 3% growth year on year, for ever but, that is a far different statement to, "money men will voluntarily reduce their push for profit. It should happen: it needs to happen but, it wont.

This work is part of the solution; it is an ideal for which to aim but, it provides precious little idea as to how to get from here to there. I, for one, hope that some clever mind can take this on... ( )
1 vote the.ken.petersen | Jan 9, 2018 |

It is a counter-proposal to mainstream economic thinking that formulates conditions for a sustainable economy. In this book she advocates reconsidering the foundations of economic science. Instead of focusing on the growth of the economy, she focuses on a model where there can be ensured that everyone on earth has access to their basic needs, such as adequate food and education, while not limiting opportunities for future generations by protecting our ecosystem.

Raworth sets out seven key ways to fundamentally reframe our understanding of what economics is and does. Along the way, she points out how we can break our addiction to growth; redesign money, finance, and business to be in service to people; and create economies that are regenerative and distributive by design. Named after the now-iconic doughnut? image that Raworth first drew to depict a sweet spot of human prosperity (an image that appealed to the Occupy Movement, the United Nations, eco-activists, and business leaders alike), Doughnut Economics offers a radically new compass for guiding global development, government policy, and corporate strategy, and sets new standards for what economic success looks like.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,695,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible