The War I Finally Won by Kimberly Brubaker…

The War I Finally Won (edition 2017)

by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley (Author)

1921286,811 (4.68)18
Member:Tafadhali
Title:The War I Finally Won
Authors:Kimberly Brubaker Bradley (Author)
Info:Dial Books (2017), 400 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read, read: 2017, fiction, american, 21st century, historical fiction, lgbt, favorite, series, children's

The War I Finally Won by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Wonderfully told story (continuing story of "The War That Saved My Life" ) of a young girl struggling with her upbringing and problems with a club foot. She has many hurdles in life and overcomes them with all of the love and caring of the people surrounding her. Beautifully told. ( )
  mcorbink | Jul 1, 2018 |
Continues directly on from the previous novel, The War that saved my life. Ada is sent to hospital by her guardian to have an operation to repair her club foot. But after this, where shall she, her guardian Susan and her brother live as their house was bombed by the Nazis at the end of the previous book? The formidable Lady Thorton has been kicked out of her mansion by the army so the four end up sharing a cottage on the estate with Susan, Ada and Jamie doing the majority of the housework which Lady Thorton is used to having servants for. To make matters worse, they are asked to care for Ruth, a Jewish girl from Germany, who has her own issues as her parents are interned.
A more complex book than the first in that it looks at the OTHER issues of war - family displacement, the change roles of women and the classes and the impact of war on children. It also makes you think about WHO is the enemy...is a child who has no say in a war an enemy; especially one who has been forced to flee corruption and everyone she knows.
It also discusses the changes in a person who has been inflicted by an ailment ( i.e. Ada's foot) and how she must gradually become a new Ada.
Fascinating and I coudln't put down...you almost think the 2 books could be joined to make ONE adult book, they are so complex. Highly recommended. ( )
  nicsreads | May 2, 2018 |
I was so glad to see Ada return! Her troubles aren't ended, though she slowly learns to trust that Susan can be relied on. Ada also learns that people are still people even if they come from two different sides of the war. I loved the way her friendship with Ruth grows. This is a very accessible look at World War II from the view of a young English girl. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 16, 2018 |
The War I finally Won was another wonderful book by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. This is continuation of Ada and Jamie's story after Susan rescued them from their home town after it was bombed. Ada has surgery to fix her foot and the evil in her life, her mam, has died. Ada now starts to overcome her mam's death and begins to heal from all the abuse and hardship she caused Ada to endure. Susan's' house was bombed, and they now live in the Thornton's cottage along with Mrs. Thornton. Ada and Maggie remain close, but heartbreak strikes when Jonathon dies in the war. A German Jewish teen named Ruth seeks refuge with the family and is to be taught math by Susan. Everyone has trouble accepting Ruth because she is a German, an enemy to them in this war. Ada is the first to accept Ruth and let her ride butter. I think Ada did this because she knew what it was like to feel different and unwanted and she does not want anyone to feel that way. I really enjoyed reading this book and would love to read “The War that Saved my Life” and this book again! Bradley is such a wonderful author and would love to explore her other books. ( )
  eritzmann | Apr 16, 2018 |
The War I Finally Won was such an incredible book. I honestly enjoyed this book better than the first one. These books are definitely some that one can read without reading both, because the second explains in detail what happened in the first. This book shows the rest of Ada's life after her mother's passing and her becoming more confident in herself. This book definitely teaches self-confidence, independence, and that it is also okay to rely on others. Ultimately it teaches to let yourself be loved. I fell in love with this story, and I wish there was another book! ( )
  syd_neylol | Apr 10, 2018 |

"As the frightening impact of World War II creeps closer and closer to her door, eleven-year-old Ada learns to manage life on the home front"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,983,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible