Theft by Peter Carey

Theft (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Peter Carey

Member:dylanwolf
Title:Theft
Authors:Peter Carey
Info:Faber and Faber (2007), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:BEN - DIS
Tags:Australia, tbr

Theft: A Love Story by Peter Carey (2006)

English (28)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (31)
I enjoyed this novel overall, although found the second half more enjoyable than the first half. I have read it once; I have heard it stands up well to a second read to pick up what was missed the first time through. ( )
  crosbyc | Apr 25, 2013 |
A revelation of a read, and no mistake. It's the first Peter Carey I've read and I was bowled over by the combination of sublime storytelling, with prose that lights up the sky. I cannot believe it has taken me so long to get around to it. Vivid, thought-provoking, an emotional roller-coaster without ever being sentimental. Beautifully judged. ( )
  Melanielgarrett | Apr 2, 2013 |
I tried three hours of this eight hour audiobook and just could not engage with the story. ( )
  hemlokgang | Apr 2, 2013 |
Fast-paced, captivating. ( )
  KFMC | Dec 8, 2010 |
I am left, once again, wondering why Peter Carey is not better known and appreciated in the USA. Theft is a great story filled with believably quirky characters, deception, love and murder as well as theft and art fraud on a major scale.

The action of the story is spread across the globe, spanning Tokyo and New York and Carey’s native Australia. I can attest to the accuracy of his descriptions of New York and Tokyo, so I must assume the depictions of Australia are also true to form. I have yet to visit there, but now, more than ever, I am determined to go there.

I’ve always admired Carey’s attention to detail and I am now wondering if he has a connection to the world of visual arts. His attention to the pigments used, the techniques of the artists, the emotions they go through and their motivations to create are engrossing.

If you are an admirer of Carey’s work, read this is you have not already done so. While not a mystery in the grand tradition of Who-Done-It stories, the behind the scenes description of the deception and the lengths people will go to for art, including murder, will resonate with readers of that genre as well. Most of all, this is a work of art for lovers of character driven stories. ( )
  PghDragonMan | Aug 15, 2010 |

From CD Case: "Theft is about obsession, deception, and redemption, a psychological suspense story and a work of charged, hilarious literary fiction. Michael--a.k.a. "Butcher" ---Boone is an ex- "really famous" painter: opinionated, furious, brilliant, and now reduced to living in the remote country house of his biggest collector and acting as caretaker for his younger brother, Hugh, a damaged man of imposing physicality and childlike emotional volatility. Alone together they've forged a delicate and shifting equilibrium, a balance instantly destroyed when a mysterious young woman named Marlene walks out of a rainstorm and into their lives on three-inch Manolo Blahnik heels, setting in motion a chain of events that could be of the making--or the ruin--of them all."

Michael "Butcher" Boone is an ex-“really famous" painter, now reduced to living in a remote country house and acting as caretaker for his younger brother, Hugh. Alone together they've forged a delicate equilibrium, a balance instantly destroyed when a mysterious young woman named Marlene walks out of a rainstorm and into their lives. Beautiful, smart, and ambitious, she's also the daughter-in-law of the late great painter Jacques Liebovitz. Soon Marlene sets in motion a chain of events that could be the making--or the ruin--of them all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:57 -0400)

Reduced to living in a remote country house and serving as caretaker for his volatile and childlike brother Hugh, Michael "Butcher" Boone, a once-famous painter, finds his life changed by the arrival of an enigmatic young woman named Marlene.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,487,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible