Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

House of Splendid Isolation (SIGNED) by Edna…

House of Splendid Isolation (SIGNED) (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Edna O'Brien (Author)

Josie, the ailing, elderly inhabitant of an Irish country mansion, dwells in the shadowy world of remembered pain and loneliness. McGreevy, the terrorist, reintroduces the possibility of compassion and tenderness, but there is an inevitably violent conclusion to their understanding as the police net closes. With extraordinary skill and empathy, Edna O'Brien shows two faces of a divided land: the yearnings of a woman whose youthful joy was broken, and the intransigent idealism of her captor. Brave and moving, THE HOUSE OF SPLENDID ISOLATION is Edna O'Brien at her very best.… (more)
Member:pwpw
Title:House of Splendid Isolation (SIGNED)
Authors:Edna O'Brien (Author)
Info:Farrar Straus Giroux (1994), Edition: First Edition, 232 pages

House of Splendid Isolation by Edna O'Brien (1994)

English (6)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (8)
I read and enjoyed her memoir "Country Girl."

This one I did not like so much. It’s a novel about an I.R.A. man on the run from the Garda who hides out in a large country house empty except for its owner, an old woman, whom he makes his hostage. Some good prose, and some thoughtful exploration of the psychic and moral scars left by civil war and terrorism, but it was very scattered, and I found it hard to follow. ( )
  k6gst | Sep 13, 2019 |
A fail for me.
While I found the writing style interesting enough, the plot content just failed to grab me and I've put the book down after 30 or so pages.
Maybe at another time I will be more motivated, but at present I have many more books in the queue that inspire me more.
Started Sept 2017 ( )
  mbmackay | Sep 26, 2017 |
Creative & deep, but for some reason my snorkel didn't allow me to appreciate it fully.
Read Samoa Sept 2003 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 28, 2015 |
A short book, made a little complicated to read by spliced-in sections including jumps in time and subject. All told we thought the writing was beautiful and fluid. It presents a portrait of "the troubles" through a couple of character types that seem realistic, and not an overview of all the elements of the economics and politics of the long struggle. Discussion suggests that we would read more on Northern Ireland.
  Jawbells | Sep 8, 2014 |
Haunting and beautiful. A good insight into the IRA and the people of Ireland. ( )
  Cailin | Nov 30, 2009 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Poiché San Patrizio ha soltanto liberato questa terra dalle serpi velenose, lasciando che uomini pieni di veleno continuassero ad abitarvi, mentre l'illuminata saggezza di Sua Maestà ne caccerà tutte queste generazioni di vipere e ne farà tra breve un'isola veramente beata...

SIR JOHN DAVIES
Procuratore Generale d'Irlanda, al conte di Salisbury (1606)
Teniamo gli assassini per la gola.

LLOYD-GEORGE
dopo l'invio dei Black Tans in Irlanda nel 1920
History is everywhere. It seeps into the soil, the sub-soil. Like rain, or hail, or snow, or blood. A house remembers. An outhouse remembers. A people ruminate. The tale differs with the teller.

It's like no place else in the world. Wild. Wildness. Things find me. I study them. Chards caked with clay. Dark things. Bright things. Stones.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,681,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible